Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
russharg
Lurker
Liked: never

Server 2019 / Cannot find shadow copy of volume Recovery

Post by russharg »

Case #03853057

I'm currerntly evaluating veeam B&R as a backup product for a standalone Hyper-V host. I ran into a major snag right out of the box.

When performing a 'Windows Agent Backup' of a server 2019 'standard edition with Hyper-V role' host, the following error occurs for both volume and file level backups, even when C:\Recovery is excluded:

Calculating digests Error: Cannot find shadow copy of volume Recovery
Error: Cannot find shadow copy of volume Recovery

Veeam is installed in a VM running on this host. VM backups of type 'Hyper-V' work just fine. This error prevents a backup of the host for future bare metal restore.

I've tried recreating the database but this hasn't stopped the error from killing the backup. I've read that using diskpart to remove the recovery partition may get things going but I was hoping there was a less drastic fix or if this is a bug, that its being worked on.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Server 2019 / Cannot find shadow copy of volume Recovery

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. Please keep in mind that the forum does not replace support. Support is the way to resolve error messages.

In general, it is possible to backup with recovery partition (I have seen other questions around this in the forums) and without recovery partition (my laptop)

Also backing up a Hyper-V host with the Veeam Agent for Windows is a common thing.

Best regards,
Hannes
russharg
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Server 2019 / Cannot find shadow copy of volume Recovery

Post by russharg »

Thanks. I was just posting to see if anyone had come across this issue. There is nothing special about my hyper-v host or veeam install for me to think the problem is uncommon. Its a bit of a surprise and a roadblock at this point.. I haven't been able to find a way around it.