Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
FelixJoussein
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Felix Joussein

Spaces in filenames - see [ID# 04030840] Spaces in Filenames created by Agent Backup

Post by FelixJoussein »

Hi Everyone!
I use VeeamAgent for Windows via VBR, so not the free edition, to backup aside of my vSphere infrastructure some bare metal lab-computers. Those backups "land" all on a NAS space, along with some other file-based / database backups majorly from Linux hosts.
Once all backups are on place, I use bash/sed/awk and other Linux shell utilities to glob the most recent backups, which are then written to a tape.
So far, so good. All works great for years now.
How ever, since I have switched from creating Acronis backups of my holy bare metal lab-computers to VeeamAgent, I'm facing the challange, of escaping spaces in filenames, which are created by VeeamAgent.

Here's an example, of how the path/filenames do look like:
VeeamAgentUser4c4c4544-004a-5210-8057-b1c04f593432/PA_CD_Workstation_-_myhost.mydomain.tld/PA_CD_Workstation - myhost.mydomain.tld2020-03-03T060325.vbk

The base-path (VeeamAgentUser4c4c4544-004a-5210-8057-b1c04f593432) is completely obsolete, as there is only one backup residing withing that folder.
I have 4 Agent-Jobs running in VBR, all 4 create a separate top-level directory using the schema "VeeamAgentUser+SomeSortOfID".

The next folder (PA_CD_Workstation_-_myhost.mydomain.tld) seams to reflect the Job-Name as defined in VBR + the Host to be backed up: The part (PA_CD_Workstation) makes absolute sense, how ever this (_-_) is non-sense as well as this (myhost.mydomain.tld), because the acutal backup files within that folder do reflect the name of the backed up host anyway.

My suggestion is therefor:
Top-Level path should be this (PA_CD_Workstation) reflecting the job-name as defined in VBR, followed by a folder for each "to be backed up host" like this (myhost.mydomain.tld) in which then the vbm, vbk, vbi's etc... are stored.
This structure then aligns with the one, vSphere backups are stored. Also a folder which reflects the Job-Title, and files within.
And as there are no spaces, no special treatment is required for 3rd party post-processing procedures which might be necessary, as Veeam simply does not and will never be able to cover all only imaginable use-cases there are!
regards,
Felix
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Spaces in filenames - see [ID# 04030840] Spaces in Filenames created by Agent Backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. The "VeeamAgentUser4c4c4544-004a-5210-8057-b1c04f593432" is not normal. I don't have that in my installation.

For the space: agree, that's not nice (but also exists in 9.5 U4 as far as I see) and a valid request for improvement

Best regards,
Hannes