Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Parallax
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Greg D

Standalone Full Backup unexpectedly deleted after restore

Post by Parallax » 1 person likes this post

Endpoint backup deletes my standalone backups after successfully restoring the image. The only files left are logs in zip file format. The problem appears to occur after corruption of the Veeam database. However this should not, in my opinion, affect “standalone” full backups. After corruption of the database I was not able to restore any full backups made by the standard scheduled backup process (or incremental which probably goes without saying). However I was able to restore the standalone full backup that I took of my new Windows 10 install + drivers etc. prior to installing other applications (as expected). The surprise for me was that after restoring the standalone backup image the software deleted it.
I have observed this twice and lost 3 images (2 the first time, only discovering this issue the 2nd time it happened and observed this behaviour again the 3rd time when looking for it). I believe this must be a bug.

By way of background I have two disk drives in my laptop and chose to do a volume level backup of drive C only, excluding drive D. Drive C is a standard Windows 10 install (from scratch + extra drivers from the laptop manufactures web page) and drive D is formatted NTFS drive with user files on it under custom directories (i.e. the Windows “My Documents” etc. reside on C not D). Windows 10 has proven to be quite unstable with some applications on my PC resulting in multiple crashes. This has caused corruption of the Veeam database. Veeam endpoint backup detects this and creates a new full image leaving the old images on the disk (which is OK, better than crashing or doing nothing). However the software is unable to restore any of the standard automated/manual old full images which is a separate issue that I would like to see Veeam address in the future (As mentioned I can restore standalone full backups but endpoint backup deletes these afterwards as stated above, not an expected behaviour). From my limited testing of this problem it appears that the standalone backup works OK when created on a normal working system and restores OK without being deleted on normal working system. However when the database becomes corrupted endpoint backup will restore a standalone image as expected but then then deletes the standalone backup.

I believe this to be a bug. Can you please confirm and hopefully fix in the future?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I did attempt to loge a technical support ticket but the system would not accept either of my two e-mails even after "successfully" verifying one of them.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Standalone Full Backup unexpectedly deleted after restor

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

There is a delay from the time you verify your email before it will let you submit. If it has been some time, try opening another case through the Control Panel.
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

Hi guys,

QA team has confirmed this behaviour: standalone full backup is deleted during the first job run after the bare metal recovery is performed. Standalone full backups made to ‘another location’ should not be affected. This bug is going to be fixed in the upcoming version.

To avoid standalone full backup being deleted – move it to any other location prior running backup job.
Parallax
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Greg D

Post by Parallax »

Hi Dima P,

Thank you so much for verifying this and committing to fixing it. I am glad it will be fixed because it was quite troubling to me.

I really like this product and will continue to use it.

Regards,

Parallax.
chaycock
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Post by chaycock » 1 person likes this post

It's very refreshing to see a company actually check and confirm that a bug exists and commit to fixing it....the usual line is to ignore it or deny that a problem exists.