Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ThomasR
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Re

Start new backup chain every month, with rotating HDDs

Post by ThomasR »

Hey guys,

I'm using two external USB HDD's to backup my data. My goal is, to get a new backup chain on both of these HDDs every month (to minimize risk of a broken backup). Unfortunatly you can only set one day each month (for example the first monday every month), so this means that a new backup chain is only created on one HDD each month (depending on which HDD is connected this day).
AFAIK this means that I would have to setup a new backup chain every week because only with this option I can select two days a week (e.g. monday, tuesday), but this would cause a lot of writes on my HDDs (600 GB per week) which could break them in the long term.
Does anyone know a better solution to this?

And one more question: I switched from Acronis to veeam - acronis had an option to verify backups regularly. Does Veeam Agent for Windows free have a similiar function?

Thanks a lot :)
ThomasR
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Re

Re: Start new backup chain every month, with rotating HDDs

Post by ThomasR »

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-fo ... 44495.html

I just read this thread and apparently there is still no function to validate backups... this is definitly a huge problem.
Lets hope they will actually include it in the next release otherwise I'll definitly switch back to acronis. This is honestly shocking
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Start new backup chain every month, with rotating HDDs

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ThomasR.
AFAIK this means that I would have to setup a new backup chain every week because only with this option I can select two days a week (e.g. monday, tuesday), but this would cause a lot of writes on my HDDs (600 GB per week) which could break them in the long term.
You can use backup to rotated drives feature to keep two independent backup chains on these drives. To perform periodic full backup you can schedule Active Full backup to be performed on the desired day of the week or month.
I just read this thread and apparently there is still no function to validate backups..
Thanks, now I understand your request from another thread better.