Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Take away granularity?

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Hey guys, I just upgraded from latest BNR 9.5 to 10. Veeam updated all the workstation agents automatically. (I manage them with a protection group and a job based on the protection group) However, what I discovered is that the UI is no longer available from the agent side, so I cannot manually invoke a full backup on demand. So while it's nice to be able to right-click the job in BNR now and choose Start backup, Active full, or Stop backup, doing that would invoke the action across the entire job, i.e. all 10 assets in this case.

I have examined the protection group settings and do not find an expected setting to "Enable agent admin UI" (like I have with our VAC for Service Providers). I have also examined the job settings. I have also examined the PowerShell cmdlet reference guide. And I have attempted to manually run the backup using the Veeam Agent's CLI. At this point, I can only conclude that Veeam has (unintentionally, I hope) removed the granular control I previously relied on for running a test backup of a specific agent post troubleshooting an issue.

I would love to be told that I am overlooking a feature or button or setting somewhere...

Also, it would appear the Veeam Agent tray icon cannot even load. This is the message I get when I actually logon to the OS profile and apparently the tray icon attempts to auto load. It also shows when I attempt to open Veeam Agent through the Start Menu.

FYI... my open case is 04145841
Net Runner
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Re: Take away granularity?

Post by Net Runner »

I have found an old but similar case. It might help. The suggestion is to simply uninstalled and reinstalled Agent for Windows. The Backup-Settings should be kept.
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/take-away-g ... 66687.html
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

Yeah, I had tried that a couple times actually. Support clarified that this is not normal behavior, and the ticket is still open. It's been escalated to Tier 2 support as well.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

Sorry for the delay - please let us know if you need any help with the investigation. This error should be displayed only when you try to modify the setup of an agent that is fully managed by Veeam B&R.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

After much extensive investigating and testing, Tier 2 (or 3?) support confirmed the issue was with LocalDB. But since figuring out what exactly was the problem and how to fix it would still involve more hours of deep investigation AND since the asset is Win7 Pro which is EOL anyway, the client opted to cut bait on attempting to backup the asset and instead move forward with replacing it. The hangup was always that the system is developer typical and heavily modded with a galaxy's worth of programs installed. :p Anyone would be understandably loath to migrate that type of workload.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

James,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear that the issue is addressed :wink: