Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Steen
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Steen

Trigger backup

Post by Steen »

Hi.
How often would VEB backup if only "When backup target is connected" and "Back up no more often than every 1 hour" is set?
Regards Steen
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Trigger backup

Post by Mike Resseler »

Steen,

That depends. If those are the only two options, then a backup will be triggered whenever the "connection to the backup target" is triggered. Let me give an example. Let's say your target is a USB device. And let's say you just took a backup at 13.00.

Now you unplug the USB device, and you plug it back in at 13.30... Since the last backup is younger than 1 hour... nothing will happen.
Now you unplug the device again, and you plug it back in at 14.15... Since the last backup is now older than 1 hour... A new backup will start.

But important is that it needs to be "detected" again, which means that if you just leave the USB device connected, there is no connection detected.

Hope it makes sense

Cheers

Mike
Steen
Service Provider

Post by Steen »

So if i have a computer that is connected som network an my target is a Repository it will not backup, since there is no "detection"
It would be nice if after specified time ( 1 hour in my case) client would check connection to Repository and trigger backup.
Scen:
If laptop is out of office monday and come back to office on thuesday it will backup (triggered by network), but if computer is then docked during the rest off the week it will not backup until network is disconnected
Regards Steen
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Steen,

Your last scenario is correct. That's why we normally combine a schedule and a triggered event. For example, I have a daily schedule at 11 pm, and a trigger when it is connected with a 23 hour interval. If I miss my 11 pm schedule for whatever reason (travel, not connected to target and so on...) it will be triggered the next time when connected. However, if I have the luck of working at home for a week, and the USB device is full-time connected, I have my 11 PM schedule trigger (and the sleep option afterwards)

Hope it helps

Mike
Steen
Service Provider

Post by Steen »

but if you have the sleep option afterward checked, the computer goes to sleep after backup even if you are using it.
Regards Steen
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Steen,

Correct... But stay tuned on this one... ;-)