Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexB82
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Alex

U4b and VAW 2.2

Post by AlexB82 »

I've logged this under case 03697253

In the upgrade documentation is specifies:
Are you using Veeam Agents operating in the standalone mode together with Veeam Backup & Replication? If yes, after you upgrade Veeam Backup & Replication to version 9.5 Update 4, you must upgrade Veeam Agent on protected computers to version 3.0 or later.

Does this mean that U4b doesn't support 2.2 at all? We've bought licences ready to apply to all our agents after we upgrade - we can't upgrade to VAW 3 due to .net issues on the clients (older manufacturing clients that have applications that aren't compatible with the .net version it needs).

Cheers !!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: U4b and VAW 2.2

Post by wishr »

Hi Alex,

Which .Net your apps utilize? Is it 2.0 or 3.5? If so, then it's not an issue: Veeam Agent runs independent .Net 4.6, so it's possible to have two different versions installed on the same machine.

Speaking about the compatibility aspect, while we recommend using VAW 3.0.2 with B&R U4b (that has been fully tested), you may give VAW 2.2 a try. Please, keep in mind that in case of issues, it will be required to upgrade to 3.0.2.

Thanks
AlexB82
Enthusiast

Post by AlexB82 »

Few different apps, but some on 3.5.x and some earlier versions.
When we last tried to upgrade the agents, we had to stick with 2.2 as trying to install 3 gave us an error stating that .net 4.6 would be installed, which we know would affect the clients. The version that VAW 3 installs would have zero effect on existing installations?

Cheers
Alex
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Alex,

It depends on the currently installed version. Based on our experience .Net 2.0 or 3.5 can be installed and function in parallel with .Net 4.6, but of course, it's a subject for testing. We are not able to predict how your applications behave in this regard.

Thanks
AlexB82
Enthusiast

Post by AlexB82 »

Pleased I didn't give it a try now. Got a message back from Veeam Support saying it's definitely not supported, and the workaround is to install a different VBR server just for the endpoints :(
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Alex,

Just to clarify: the use of VAW 2.2 with B&R 9.5 Update 4 is not officially supported (it has been not fully tested for compatibility), and in case of issues you'll be asked to migrate to the latest VAW version, thus you may try 2.2 with U4 at your own risk. I would not recommend following this way, because it's a workaround and not a real solution to the issue, especially from the strategic perspective (at some point you'll require to upgrade, right!?).

In your particular situation, I'd recommend you to try installing VAW 3.0.2 on top of a replica of one of your prod workloads - just for testing purpose. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine having two different .Net versions at the same machine, but it should be checked. This solution will also ensure the possibility to upgrade to the next VAW versions. You may also check with Microsoft on the possibility to have several .Net versions on a machine (I think there is some matrix stating which versions can live together) to be confident in the change.

Also, that link might help.

Thanks