Unable to exclude files from snapshot

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Unable to exclude files from snapshot

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:05 am

Hi,

In order to open a case please follow this guide. Btw, which version do you use? Please make sure that it's the newest available.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi Anna,
Unable to exclude files from snapshot

Just to clarify, are you running the entire pc backup / volume level backup mode or it’s a file level backup with enabled exclusions? As Pavel said, the support ticket should be opened thru the Endpoint’s UI (Control Panel > Support tab > Technical Support) - it collects the application logs automatically which makes the troubleshooting a lot easier.

P.S. Please upgrade your Veeam Endpoint Backup to the latest available version. You can download it from the website, all further updates can be installed thru the application's auto update functionality.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby anche » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:59 am

2Pavel: I have newest version - 1.1.2.119, but I can't to choose it in the case.

2Dmitry: I do the file backup with exclusions, right. I couldn't use that server for opening case in outside web server, excuse me. How could I gather logs by other ways?
anche
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Anna Chekhovskikh

Veeam Logoby PTide » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:16 pm 1 person likes this post

I suggest you to choose any version and submit the case. I believe that you will be able to explain everything to your support engineer when he contacts you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:20 pm

Understood – thanks! You can open a case from any other machine connected to the internet and with VEB on board (just highlight it in the case). Another life hack is to open a case at customer care portal but refer to any other Veeam product - just ask to be redirected to Endpoint support team in case details.

To tell the truth there is no need to open the case for this particular error/ warning since backup is eventually created. The error is displayed when specified files cannot be excluded due Microsoft Shadow Copy Optimization writer being inactive or timed out. When it happens VEB cannot leverage it to exclude the specified files from the previously created snapshot and you got this notification in backup session, however created backup file is fully operation.

Thinking of possible workarounds:
- The best way to utilize exclusions is to select several big files. Selecting thousands of smaller files will probably cause Microsoft optimization writer to fail.
- Issue might be fixed by rebooting the OS at some point.
- If the exclusions are not critical, switch to volume level backup / entire pc backup mode or disable the file level exclusions. These to modes support the bare metal recovery while file level recover does not.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby anche » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:55 am

Dima P. wrote:To tell the truth there is no need to open the case for this particular error/ warning since backup is eventually created. The error is displayed when specified files cannot be excluded due Microsoft Shadow Copy Optimization writer being inactive or timed out. When it happens VEB cannot leverage it to exclude the specified files from the previously created snapshot and you got this notification in backup session, however created backup file is fully operation.

that's nice and most important thing =0)

Dima P. wrote:Thinking of possible workarounds:
- The best way to utilize exclusions is to select several big files. Selecting thousands of smaller files will probably cause Microsoft optimization writer to fail.
- Issue might be fixed by rebooting the OS at some point.
- If the exclusions are not critical, switch to volume level backup / entire pc backup mode or disable the file level exclusions. These to modes support the bare metal recovery while file level recover does not.

I understood, but we can't optimize this backup from file to volume: here is huge volumes and we don't have possibility to storage all of these volumes. That's why we use file level backup for this server.
anche
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:54 am

Understood – thanks! And is it possible to change the exclusion list, so it consist of a very limited number of files? Thanks
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby anche » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:29 am

I optimized it. There are a lot of logs, cause it's a TMG.
We restarted this server on weekend. The issue wasn't resolved =( And I wanna ask about incremental backups: is it all right if the backup is only incremental after first full?
anche
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:51 am

Hi Anna,

How many files do you have in exclusion list this time? VEB runs forever incremental backup mode so first full is always followed by incremental restore points.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby anche » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Thank you for your help, but I opened a case with logs
anche
Influencer

Previous