Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Jon Barrow
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Barrow

Using a Veeam Endpoint on a live production server

Post by Jon Barrow »

Hi,

I currently have backup and replication installed and running for the backup of VM's however I have sought after a full bare-metal backup for the backup of standalone servers (non-virtualised servers).

My question is, will Endpoint be safe to use on a live production server?

The server functions as a domain controller and I am concerned if the backup runs at night and over-runs (into the production hours), will this affect the users accessing the server?

Does endpoint use a snapshot technology?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jon Barrow
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Using a Veeam Endpoint on a live production server

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jon,
My question is, will Endpoint be safe to use on a live production server?
If we are talking about GA version, then yes: installations on the windows servers OS’s starting from 2008R2 SP1 are supported. Several users have shared their results of backing up the DC in this thread: Endpoint Backup. Backup of the Domain Controller
The server functions as a domain controller and I am concerned if the backup runs at night and over-runs (into the production hours), will this affect the users accessing the server?
I believe, it depends on how the backup schedule is configured. For instance, you can set the daily schedule to start the backup every evening.
Does endpoint use a snapshot technology?
Yes it does.
Jon Barrow
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Barrow

Post by Jon Barrow »

Thanks the response.

I will set this off tonight (whilst quiet over the weekend) and report back.

Thanks

Jon
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Jon,
Thank you. Awaiting for your results.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jon,

Additionally on your question about overrunning and running into the production hours... By default we throttle the backup so it doesn't interfere with production activities so as long as you don't take away that tick in the checkbox, your users will not see (or better experience) any performance issues.

For your information, my domain controllers are being backed up at 00.30, 01.00, 01.30 and 02.00 and (besides the first one) never actually backup at the same time. I have a very large AD which gets updated, deletes, changes and more very frequently (it is a domain being used for doing various tests and we simulate user load on it regularly)

Let us know the results

Mike