Using Veeam for Migration of baremetal AD on VM?

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Using Veeam for Migration of baremetal AD on VM?

Veeam Logoby Christophe V » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:36 am

Hi all,

I just have a little question. I have a standalone server by a customer with Windows 2008 (not a virtual machine). This server has AD + 1 database Sage. I must change the hardware and on the new hardware I plan to install ESXi 6.x.

It is possible with the Active Directory on this server to use the Veeam Endpoint Backup and the "Export disk contents a vitual data"?

Or it's better to made a new VM that I can promote as new DC and after moving the FSMO role on this new DC, I depromote the Windows 2008 and after I use the "Export disk contents as virtual data"?

Did anyone already this job and what's was the result?

Thanks a lot
Christophe V
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Christophe Voutat

Re: Using Veeam for Migration of baremetal AD on VM?

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:41 am

Christophe,

Assuming that this is a Windows Server 2008 R2 and doesn't have any complex applications (requiring advanced application-aware processing logic), then it should be possible to do. If you can create a new VM, promote it to a DC level, then migrate just data from data disks, then I would go this route.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1070 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:48 am 1 person likes this post

Christophe. Vitaliy is correct but I would like to propose a different approach because the way you would do it now, your AD will remain 2008 R2 and if you are going to virtualize your AD you want a higher version because starting from 2012 (or R2, not sure anymore) there is better virtualization support for AD / DCs

Since you are buying new hardware, leave the older server running for now. Install ESXi and deploy an empty VM on it. Promote that VM to a DC (choose 2012 R2 or 2016 for the VM, your choice ;-)) and let replication do its job. After that is done, make sure all the roles are moved to the VM. Then demote the older server as a DC (so the database remains clean). If you have the possibility to do this, I certainly would advise it
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 342 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Christophe V » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:49 am

Hello Vitaliy,

Thanks for your answer. Sadly Sage is installed on the server and I can't move only the data. I need to migrate the system partition too.

An other solution will be to depromote this server and to use vmware converter to migrate the vm, but if I can use Veeam, I don't need to install one more application
Thanks
Christophe V
Novice

Veeam Logoby Christophe V » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:53 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer. Yes you are right, it's better to make a AD 2012 R2 or 2016 if all DC are virtuel. I miss this important information :o

I will go in this direction, thanks.
Christophe V
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:49 am

In this case, you can still stick to your original plan, but use On-demand Sandbox (SureBackup jobs) to spin up the test environment, verify that everything is working and then complete the migration.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1070 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows