Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
markkastoun
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Kastoun

VAW Migrating 2.0.0.594 to 2.0.0.700 sidenote

Post by markkastoun » 2 people like this post

Hi folks,

I wanted to share something I faced when upgrading from VAW 2.0.0.594 to 2.0.0.700.
Well at first, its a clean install rather than an upgrade, the setup checks for previous available VAW installation and refuses to proceed before you manually uninstall the old VAW.

If you have a very simple backup selection like Entire Computer, Volume Level Backup, or File Level Backup with not so many exceptions/unselected subfolders, just go with the uninstall and proceed with installing the new VAW.

Otherwise, If you're like me and have a huge list of exceptions/unselected subfolders, before uninstalling your VAW, run Veeam.Agent.Configurator -export /f:PATH\BACKUPNAME.xml and you'll get a precious XML file with every option you have made in that job.
>>> Uninstall old VAW -> Install new VAW >>>
Now you are presented with a blank VAW, and the Backup Wizard showing up.

The issue is you can't import the XML file you have exported from the old VAW, just yet!
I faced an error about the ApplicationSettings tag when importing backup.xml, seems there is no backward to read this XML.

The workaround I found was create a dummy backup on the new VAW, export it as you did before with a different filename! and open both xml in a text editor.
You will have to copy the <EpDiskFilter ... /> tags from the old one to the new one, mind the position its inside <SourceInfo> </SourceInfo>.
Import your grafted XML with the Veeam.Agent.Configurator and it should work without any issue.
All you'll have to do is setup the target, schedule and any missing option and you'll be good to go!

P.S: Don't forget to upgrade your VBR/VCC with 9.5U2!

Mark
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VAW Migrating 2.0.0.594 to 2.0.0.700 sidenote

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mark,

Cool workaround!
The issue is you can't import the XML file you have exported from the old VAW, just yet!
Some parameters were renamed or corrected in RTM code. Also you need to be sure that you have entered the credentials to the xml prior running import command (in case of shared folder or VBR repository).