Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

VAW offload full backup

Post by agrob »

Good Day

On a remote site we have 2 physical servers. we want to move away from Backup Exec. I thought about install VAW Server Edition on both systems and backup them to a NAS share. That is no problem. Now i like to offload the latest full backup every weekend to a usb drive so that they can be taken off site.

1. I could configure the nas to offload the vbk file, but as VAW uses forward incremental, the vbk file has not the latest data stored. -> is thare any way to configure VAW to use reverse incremental backup?
2. i could configure the nas as a backup repository in our central veeam environment and configure the two vaw to backup to the repsoitory. then i could configure a backup copy job to a usb drive connected to one of the two servers. is there any way i could configure the backup copy job to do a "synthetic" full backup to this usb drive? and if yes, does veeam recoginzed the rotated usb drives?

Or is there any other way to offload the latest backup point to usb? i don't want to offload the whole backup chain (full and increment) to usb. the plan is to hold as much retention point on the nas as possible.

Thanks
best regards
andré
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VAW offload full backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hello André,
is thare any way to configure VAW to use reverse incremental backup?
Unfortunately VAW does not support reversed incremental backup mode.
is there any way i could configure the backup copy job to do a "synthetic" full backup to this usb drive? and if yes, does veeam recoginzed the rotated usb drives?
I believe Backup Copy from NAS repository (added to VBR console) to a repository with Rotated Drive option enabled is a solution.