VAW: Path/Folder/File exclusions

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

VAW: Path/Folder/File exclusions

Veeam Logoby holden205 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:25 pm

I currently have a little less than 400 laptops using the VAW 2.3 with Veeam B&R 3.0 managing the backups. The file level backup options are extremely limited compared to previous versions and standalone agent options. In the Windows world all user profiles are sub-located under C:\Users. Well, there are a number of folders and files I would prefer not to be included in the backup files. However, all combinations of folder path exclusion I've tried has not worked. I have contacted support and been directed to documentation for previous versions which are not applicable to VAW 2.3 or B&R 3.0. Everyone refers to file exclusion, but no one can provide any information regarding path mask exclusions. Or, this feature does not yet exist. I'm in need of a path mask exclusion capability. C:\Users\*\AppData\* = C:\Users\JDoe\AppData\[all sub folders and files] excluded. If not already, when will this capability be available? If it is, what is the syntax for the path masking?

JH

Reference: It's been 2 years since this subject was talked about and a feature request established. Wildcards for paths, folders, and files are a standard capability in many backup products.

Tue May 24, 2016 9:44 am
cortine,

I was referring to exclude option in conjunction with file masks. Excluding folders by a mask is, indeed, not currently possible. Thanks for sharing your personal use case!
Dima P.
holden205
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Holden

Re: VAW: Path/Folder/File exclusions

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi Jeff,

Wildcard support for paths in exclusion/inclusion masks planned for the next version of Veeam B&R. Thank you.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 548 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VAW: Path/Folder/File exclusions

Veeam Logoby KB1501 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:00 am

Hello Veeam Support! :-)

We use Veeam B&R 9.5.0.1536. I think this not the next version you're talking about.
As one part of my backup I do backup many files in many directories to LTO5. This is month by month and every day of the month is one path to backup. The source-structure is just like that and a full-backup of the root of all months with ongoing inkr-backup failed doe to very very huge temp-databases during the backup-prozess till the drive ist full (a few TB...) so only the manual way day-by-day for every month for 5 different sources works.
My question/feature-request: in the "files and folders"-mask in the file to tape backup-edit the use of wildcards would be very helpfull too. But not only an asterisk for a whole directory-part of a path, it would be good to be able to use wildcards for parts of a directory.
Example:
C:\path_01\subpath_01\ --> C:\path_01\subpath_*\

Do you think this will be possible too?
KB1501
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Karsten Blasek

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows