VEB Config - why SQL?

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: VEB Config - why SQL?

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Thu May 12, 2016 2:11 pm

Dima P. wrote:Could it be that your AV is somehow using the LocalDB as well?

How so? It's clear from the command line that the instance of LocalDB is dedicated to VEB. If AV wanted to use LocalDB, then I think it would need to start a second process.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\LocalDB\Binn\\sqlservr.exe" -c -SMSSQL12E.LOCALDB -sLOCALDB#E54A66C0 -d"C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\VeeamEndPoint\master.mdf" -l"C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\VeeamEndPoint\mastlog.ldf" -e"C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\VeeamEndPoint\error.log"

Also note that I was able to get the memory up to the same level when there was no AV installed.

Do you have VEB installed on any Windows Server 2012 R2 systems? I'd be interested in seeing a Task Manager screenshot of the LocalDB memory usage from one of those that has been running for 3 weeks.
mkaec
Expert

Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Marc K

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Mon May 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Marc,

Sorry, forgot about your previous post. I am sure we got it in the QA lab – will update this thread with the results soon.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 442 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:51 pm

Marc,

Finally, got my hands on Windows 2016 TP5 with VEB running there since TP5 was published. Idle state 80MB / running state up to 200MB (although throttling was enabled but that should not take any effect of sql database at all).
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:37 pm

How much memory is in the system? How long had it been since the last reboot? Server 1 and Server 2 from my prior list have 48 GB of memory and the other 3 have 128 GB memory. I have a feeling that SQL sees this and decides it can use more. That could explain why my numbers were higher than typical.
mkaec
Expert

Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Marc K

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:43 pm

Last was a week ago. It’s a VM with 8GB of RAM, so I can easily check your assumption. Let me double the memory and leave the VM running for a week or so.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows