Veeam Agent 2.0 Idle "Loopback" Networktraffic

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Veeam Agent 2.0 Idle "Loopback" Networktraffic

Veeam Logoby DaStivi » Wed May 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Hello there, can someone explain why Veeam Agent is pretty chatty on "Loopback" interface?
What i mean is that Veeam.EndPoint.Tray.exe and Veeam.Endpoint.Service.exe constantly send/receive around 60KB/sec between them! You can see this in the Ressourcemonitor of Windows pretty well:

i tried to sniff the data with wireshark but didn't found anything helpfull in the traces...

i'm just curious about such activitys, not only because of recent HP Sound driver Keylogger "bug" :roll: :wink:
DaStivi
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Re: Veeam Agent 2.0 Idle "Loopback" Networktraffic

Veeam Logoby skochetkov » Thu May 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Hey Stephan!

There is no conspiracy at all in this: Veeam Tray Agent and Veeam Service talk with each other by RPC in order to make tray agent being able to display updated statuses regarding backup job status/schedule and etc.
skochetkov
Veeam Software

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sergey Kochetkov

Veeam Logoby DaStivi » Thu May 18, 2017 3:17 pm

ok... but this 60kb/s sums up to 5TB per day on internal chitter chatter .... probably not that many users will notice this as available system resources shouldn't used that much but still i see some possibility that cpu doesn't throttle accordingly and energy saving settings on pcs are gonna be affected!

i've seen a couple of tray agents that are talking to some background services and the poll the service from time to time... but Veeam tray is constantly 24x7 talking to the service! i don't understand what purpose this should have... the Agentgui is closed in tray taskbar and the exe is constantly polling data...
DaStivi
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby skochetkov » Fri May 19, 2017 10:27 am

DaStivi wrote:ok... but this 60kb/s sums up to 5TB per day on internal chitter chatter .... probably not that many users will notice this as available system resources shouldn't used that much but still i see some possibility that cpu doesn't throttle accordingly and energy saving settings on pcs are gonna be affected!

i've seen a couple of tray agents that are talking to some background services and the poll the service from time to time... but Veeam tray is constantly 24x7 talking to the service! i don't understand what purpose this should have... the Agentgui is closed in tray taskbar and the exe is constantly polling data...

Hello Stephan,

Please let me explain a little bit more: loopback traffic goes only thru RAM, no NIC is used for this type of communication. Moreover, I can calculate only 5Gb per day of this traffic if we suppose that VAW components constantly create 60kb/s of it. In addition, this kind of communication won't prevent CPU throttling, if only BIOS or OS settings prevent that.

As for the closed tray agent question: the connection between service and tray closes a little bit later when all data between them is being transferred.
skochetkov
Veeam Software

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sergey Kochetkov

Veeam Logoby DaStivi » Fri May 19, 2017 10:48 am

skochetkov wrote:As for the closed tray agent question: the connection between service and tray closes a little bit later when all data between them is being transferred.

event if GUI is closed in the tray and no backup is running there is still traffic gooing on the whole day... but of course when closing gui/tray completely the traffic goes away shortly after...

when you says its ok... i just thought that it could be some bug... as i didn't notice such behaviour from other apps...
DaStivi
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the feedback. As noted this behavior is by design and should not affect your network performance.

If UI is closed I assume you still have a tray app running thus you see the loop back traffic. Backup service is responsible for backup job handling while tray is basically displaying all the info gathered from the service.

By the way, you can disable automatic update check which is performed one time per day.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows