Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
davefraser83
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Fraser

Veeam Agent and Storage Repo

Post by davefraser83 »

Hi

I am new and just getting to grips with Veeam and how it processes jobs and setting up a new environment , I have a question around the Veeam agent as I understand this needs to be used in certain scenarios such as Clustered File servers, SQL /Exchange DAGs etc. Its this right and the agent should be used for these types of backup jobs? does this ensure i can do a instant VM recovery as well as granular based recovery?

I also have an external standalone server with 30+TB of storage with ReFS storage volume configured as a storage repo, I also have a Virtual Veeam server (DB Management console etc), I am also running a 3 node VMware cluster with a Veeam Proxies deployed to each node. I have a designated backup vLAN created with the proxies, repo and management server are connected to with the management server being multi-homed and also connected to he live prod vLAN.

in testing I have found that the Veeam agents doesn't connect via the backup vLAN and doesn't use the Veeam proxies but wants to connect straight to the repo server via the Veeam management host - since my backup jobs are failing is this a right and correct functionally? or should it all be routed via the proxies?

Dave
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent and Storage Repo

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Dave.
I have a question around the Veeam agent as I understand this needs to be used in certain scenarios such as Clustered File servers, SQL /Exchange DAGs etc.
No, you can use regular VM backup if the application is running on a virtual machine.
Its this right and the agent should be used for these types of backup jobs? does this ensure i can do a instant VM recovery as well as granular based recovery?
Recovery options are almost the same. For backup files made by agents we currently do not support Entire VM restore (both VMware and Hyper-V) and Instant VM recovery to VMware (Hyper-V works fine).
in testing I have found that the Veeam agents doesn't connect via the backup vLAN and doesn't use the Veeam proxies but wants to connect straight to the repo server via the Veeam management host - since my backup jobs are failing is this a right and correct functionally? or should it all be routed via the proxies?
Veeam agents does not use proxies. Instead the connect directly to the repository gateway server over network, so agent should have direct access to the gateway server assigned to the repository. Cheers!