Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0

Veeam Logoby Lyonel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:47 am

I hope for this release that physicals servers can be merge in a unique vbk vib to reduce the size consumed in the repository.
Lyonel
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Lyonel

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:00 am

Hi Lyonel,

No deduplication between VAW backups won’t be supported since VAW still has one backup file per backup job. However, you can use all the benefits of Windows Server deduplication feature.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 449 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby frisked » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Anyone know if there is an updated release date for this?
frisked
Novice

Full Name: Daniel Friske

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi Daniel, we do not share the exact release dates. However, you can sign up for the public beta to be among the first to play with the new version. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1096 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby MCU_Networking » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:44 pm

We have a use case we are hoping Agent for Windows will fix. Well at least one that is prudent, we have multiple but this is the one management wants something fierce. It is a physical file server. Management wants monthly backups of a year's worth of only certain files. We use Endpoint Free right now on it and obviously you can only have 1 backup scheduled. What we currently do is the incremental backup method daily with 101 days worth. What we need to add is a monthly backup on the 1st of the month that backs up only the [.pdf], [.doc*] and [.xls*] files on the D: drive.
MCU_Networking
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Michael Taylor

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:15 am

Michael,

The server version of VAW 2.0 will be able to do exactly what you want if you save your files on a B&R repository. This edition will have different scheduling methods, and in combination with a GFS backup copy job (see here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95) you will be able to do what you want. Soon there will be a beta version of VAW that will allow you to play with this type of setup (No, I can't give you a date ;-))

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 366 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Michael,

Just to make sure we are on the same page. Upcoming version wont have multiple backup jobs (the existing design remains the same – single job per installation), however upcoming server edition, indeed, will have a monthly scheduling option and periodic active full functionality. This could help you to achieve your goal.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Skyview » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm

So Dima, this sounds a little conflicting to what I was understanding about the server version. Will the server version have the ability to have multiple jobs with different selection lists?

For example, I want a job that backs up everything on the C: drive, then a different job that backs up all .pdf files on the D: drive.

We have a huge use case for multiple jobs with different selection lists per job. Somewhere on the order of 30 servers, 150TB.
Skyview
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:25 pm

No, multiple jobs in VAW will not be available in version 2.0
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1117 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Skyview » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:56 pm 1 person likes this post

That's really a shame. Such an opportunity lost. I don't think you will have much uptake, or much respect, if you charge money for and call your product "enterprise physical server backup" when you can't even do more than 1 job. It's just such a glaringly obvious flag of a product that isn't mature, which I guess is the true case anyways for a first release.

I'm not making fun, I'm just.....very disappointed. I'm a gigantic Veeam fanboy, but I'm going to be forced to use something else on a massive scale. Sigh.
Skyview
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:50 pm

Skyview,

Thanks for sharing. We recognize the high demand in multiple backup jobs feature and we plan to add it in one of the next major versions.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cthorpe » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi Dima - so based on your conversation with Skyview, does this mean VAW v2 (server edition) will not support backup copy jobs??

We have a large number of ShadowProtect installations that we want to urgently migrate to VAW, but if we cannot save both locally (and NOT to a B&R repository) and to Cloud Connect then this is a serious lack of capability.
cthorpe
Service Provider

Full Name: Chris Thorpe

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:16 pm

VAW 2.0 will have a single job (as VEB 1.5) with the following backup targets supported:

- Direct backup to Veeam Cloud Connect
- Backup to Veeam repository
- Shared folder destination
- Local destination

Backup copy job (and backup to tape) can be used inside the VBR console to copy the agent backup files between repositories.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby MCU_Networking » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:01 pm 1 person likes this post

There has to be something we can do. Will it be possible to have Endpoint and Agent installed at the same time in order to run multiple jobs?

All I am wanting to do is separately backup a few files outside of a chain. I feel the exact way as Skyview. I am not sure how a company as awesome as yours can not do something so simple. You are forcing me to look at other products for something so simple and forcing to run a 2nd backup software program on the same server to accomplish what I want, specifically another vendors product.
MCU_Networking
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Michael Taylor

Veeam Logoby cthorpe » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Agree with MCU ... there must be something Veeam can do here!

As a VCSP, we have a large number of customer environments where a on-prem VBR server can simply not be justified. Without the ability to save both locally and to Cloud Connect from VAW, there is no point in us looking at VAW. This has been promised by Veeam for a LONG time ... why the sudden change ??
cthorpe
Service Provider

Full Name: Chris Thorpe

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows