Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0

Backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0

Veeam Logoby Lunddahl » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:42 am

I have seen that Veeam Agent for Windows with a server license will be able to use VSS to interact with SQL Servers, do pre/post freeze scripts.

However, if i have a SQL server that are maintaining log files on a different cycle that the Veeam Backup jobs is scheduled, what will be the difference between running with a Free or Workstation vs a Server license, VSS will still be used, but logs will not be truncated or am i missing something.

We see a lot of PC "servers" in the small business segment, those servers are simply just workstations, but somehow include a MSSQL database in some form, often included with some special software, we want to be sure that we do not break something if we deploy Veeam Endpoint with a "backup everything you can find policy".

Regarding SMB, some have Windows Domain Controllers, will Veeam Agent for Windows include special treating in the restore process, like we know from VBR ?

- Lunddahl
Lunddahl
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ulrik Lunddahl

Veeam Logoby jmmarton » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:54 pm 1 person likes this post

You'll have the same log truncate & backup options with VAW as what you have today with virtualized MSSQL instances and VBR. In other words, if you want VAW to backup the entire box once a day but you want to backup transaction logs every 15 minutes you can do this.

And to your other questions, yes, we should pick up DCs allowing you options to restore users, computers, GPOs, etc.

Joe
jmmarton
Veeam Software

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Veeam Logoby glamic26 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:25 am 1 person likes this post

chavron wrote:If I am reading everything here correctly, once the paid-for Veeam Agent for Windows is released, I'll get the same desktop functionality, but I still won't be able to edit and schedule the Endpoint backups in the Backup and Recovery console. I'll have to set those schedules manually while RDP/etc onto each workstation. Is this correct? If that's correct, that's a huge let-down, because this product could easily be used for an Acronis True Image replacement within a local environment. I think the Veeam Endpoint Protection product being manageable via the B&R console is what a lot of us have been waiting for Veeam Endpoint Backup to evolve into, so clarification on this is needed. What I'm reading is that Agent for Windows backups will only be able to be managed in the Veeam Availability Console. I'm also reading that the only entities that the VAC is going to be available to are service providers and "enterprise" (have yet to find Veeam's definition of what an enterprise is thus far). We are a firm with roughly 275 physical endpoints. Is the VAC available to us?

Anguel wrote:I think you understood it correctly. I am also very very disappointed and regret having paid for 2 more years Veeam Backup Essentials (VBR + Veeam One) maintenance. As a small business with 10-20 PCs I was really expecting to get Endpoint Backup integrated into VBR like they did it for LabTech. It not only did not get integrated but it looks like even if you pay for the new paid agents (prices are still to be seen) there is still no way for small businesses to centrally manage and monitor endpoint backups. Sorry Veeam, but it is the small businesses that really need such functionality as they don't have time and resources to write scripts and learn APIs. Again, extremely disappointed :cry:

I'm assuming that the silence regarding these points confirms that VAC is the only way to remotely and centrally manage Veeam Agents, and that this is not going to be possible in B&R console. This is really disappointing because we have no other reason to install VAC as we don't need any of the other functionality it provides. So why would we want to install an additional console to manage these agents when we really want to be keeping in a single console to manage all of our jobs? Are there any plans for central management of agents to be added to B&R in the near future? Without this the agents are pointless for us and we will continue to use products that do allow central management through the main console.
glamic26
Service Provider

Liked: 9 times

Veeam Logoby Zuendapp » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:47 am

Hi,

will the VEB be replaced by VAW (free Edition) or is there any update in future for VEB?

Best regards
Zuendapp
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Steve

Veeam Logoby rekun » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:49 am

Hi

Veeam Agent Free edition will replace Endpoint Backup FREE (all current features should be maintained in the new agent)
rekun
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rene Knudsen

Veeam Logoby JRJenZen » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Am i the only one who haven't received an invite to the beta yet ?
JRJenZen
Lurker

Full Name: 7

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:44 pm

We have a use case we are hoping Agent for Windows will fix.

Unfortunately, it won’t. VAW single job may have only one target. As a possible workaround, you could use Veeam B&R Free and file to tape jobs plus some free VTL (like Quadstor) to put you archives to emulated tape media. This brings complicity to backup stratagem, however this approach is completely free, so worth testing.
Will I be able to control backup jobs with VAW server edition using powershell?

Should be possible to disable/enable backup jobs, but editing backup configuration won’t be supported.
For that matter, on the current Endpoint Backup could I manually change the job selection to specific files, run a manual backup and then change it back without corrupting my incremental chain?

Another idea. VAW 2.0 has import/export for backup job configuration. You can keep to xml for different backup jobs and swap it via import/export when required. Theoretically, this could be scheduled via windows Task Scheduler.
Are there any plans for central management of agents to be added to B&R in the near future?

Sure.
Veeam Agent Free edition will replace Endpoint Backup FREE (all current features should be maintained in the new agent)

Correct.
Am i the only one who haven't received an invite to the beta yet ?

On early stages beta invites are distributed in waves. We will sent the next portion of invitations on Monday.

Dear all. I answered your questions in ‘order of appearance’ but this tread becomes very cumbersome and very clumsy. Almost impossible to track all conversations in one place, so please if you have questions or feature requests – start a new topic instead of using this thread. Thank you for understanding.
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 421 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Veeam Logoby smtech » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:17 am

JRJenZen wrote:Am i the only one who haven't received an invite to the beta yet ?

Same boat. Is there any way to get 'bumped' closer to the front of the line?
smtech
Lurker

Full Name: Steven Knight

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:28 am

Steven,

There is not a way to get bumped closer to the front of the line but rest assure, we are still sending out invites in waves. Sorry for the additional wait but this is necessary to not overload our support teams. Hope you understand
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 354 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:04 pm

From what I know the plan is to finish sending invites this week, so the wait should not be too long!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2317 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby AlexLeadingEdge » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi guys,

I just tried to install VEEAM Agent 2.0 Beta on our test machine and it has already stopped me from proceeding: I cannot upgrade from 1.5 to 2.0 using the installer!

Does this imply there won't be an upgrade path from 1.5.0.306 to 2.0 when it comes out of Beta??? This is really worrying as it means uninstalling 1.5 and installing VEEAM 2.0 on hundreds of machines!
AlexLeadingEdge
Expert

Liked: 13 times

Veeam Logoby AlexLeadingEdge » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Just saw this in the 2.0 BETA notes:

• Upgrade from Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5 is not supported, please do a clean install.
• Because of significant changes in both configuration and backup formats, we may not be able to provide the upgrade from BETA to GA build, and/or ability to restore from BETA backups in GA build. So please, do not assume that such compatibility will be available.
AlexLeadingEdge
Expert

Liked: 13 times

Veeam Logoby pber » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:35 pm 1 person likes this post

chavron wrote:If I am reading everything here correctly, once the paid-for Veeam Agent for Windows is released, I'll get the same desktop functionality, but I still won't be able to edit and schedule the Endpoint backups in the Backup and Recovery console. I'll have to set those schedules manually while RDP/etc onto each workstation. Is this correct? If that's correct, that's a huge let-down, because this product could easily be used for an Acronis True Image replacement within a local environment. I think the Veeam Endpoint Protection product being manageable via the B&R console is what a lot of us have been waiting for Veeam Endpoint Backup to evolve into, so clarification on this is needed. What I'm reading is that Agent for Windows backups will only be able to be managed in the Veeam Availability Console. I'm also reading that the only entities that the VAC is going to be available to are service providers and "enterprise" (have yet to find Veeam's definition of what an enterprise is thus far). We are a firm with roughly 275 physical endpoints. Is the VAC available to us?

Anguel wrote:I think you understood it correctly. I am also very very disappointed and regret having paid for 2 more years Veeam Backup Essentials (VBR + Veeam One) maintenance. As a small business with 10-20 PCs I was really expecting to get Endpoint Backup integrated into VBR like they did it for LabTech. It not only did not get integrated but it looks like even if you pay for the new paid agents (prices are still to be seen) there is still no way for small businesses to centrally manage and monitor endpoint backups. Sorry Veeam, but it is the small businesses that really need such functionality as they don't have time and resources to write scripts and learn APIs. Again, extremely disappointed :cry:

glamic26 wrote:I'm assuming that the silence regarding these points confirms that VAC is the only way to remotely and centrally manage Veeam Agents, and that this is not going to be possible in B&R console. This is really disappointing because we have no other reason to install VAC as we don't need any of the other functionality it provides. So why would we want to install an additional console to manage these agents when we really want to be keeping in a single console to manage all of our jobs? Are there any plans for central management of agents to be added to B&R in the near future? Without this the agents are pointless for us and we will continue to use products that do allow central management through the main console.

Agreed. What is the point unless we can control and manage the jobs from a single pane of glass.
pber
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Patrick Bernardin

Veeam Logoby ckreuzer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:08 am

hey there!

will it be possible to manage Veeam Agent for Windows by the Backup & Replication console?
I think about run/stop and edit the jobs?
ckreuzer
Lurker

Full Name: Colin Kreuzer

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:48 am

Not in the existing version of Veeam B&R (9.5), but this feature is planned for next major updates. As for now, it will be possible to do it via Veeam Availability Console.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1089 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Agent for Windows