Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
siyanor
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ahmad Jamali

veeam agent installation for Cluster is failing

Post by siyanor »

Recenlty we have tried to upgrade our hardware and upgraded the Veeam from 9.5 update 2 to new server with Veeam 9.5 udpate 4 on it.
I have already registered a ticket with Veeam support ,Case # 03430911.I thought it is a good Idea to share this issue here as it could be helpful to someone in future.

So in old Veeam , cluster is been added and working perfectly (two node in windows cluster with EV installed on them).
when I tried to install the cluster in new Veeam and while rescaning ,it is providing an error as below:
Unable to install backup agent: cannot connect to hostname Error: Failed to process cluster resource hostname
we have tried many options with Veeam support including below steps:
restarting the cluster nodes, removing the cluster protection group and creating it again,using local admin credentials,disabling AV.
It seems that Veeam has changed the way it interacts with Windows cluster in latest version.
I will update the resolution once I get an update on this case.

Regards,
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: veeam agent installation for Cluster is failing

Post by ejenner »

Can you run the agent installation locally on the nodes and then connect / re-associate with Veeam B&R by running a job.
siyanor
Influencer

Post by siyanor »

Hi Ejenner , we have tried that,individually , veeam is able to install the agent on each node from Veeam .but when using as cluster Protection group, it is giving mentioned error.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

Maybe have a look through the document explaining the functionality, there may be ideas there which will help work out what's going on.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2463
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Ahmad,

Please keep working with our support team and don't forget to share the results of investigation. Cheers!
siyanor
Influencer

Post by siyanor »

@ ejenner,
Thank you for provided link , I had read that article and read it one more time .We are following all the steps mentioned in article.
My issue is that in latest veeam (9.5 update 4) I am able to add nodes individually but not through cluster node.

@Dima
Surly I will share the result.
paul.hambleton
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Paul Hambleton

Post by paul.hambleton »

Are you able to resolve the cluster and node DNS records from the Veeam server and proxy?

I had the same error with the Veeam server being in a workgroup, rather than joined to the domain. Adding hosts records to the Veeam server with the FQDN for the cluster and nodes resolved the problem.
martin_zidu
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Martin Zidu

Post by martin_zidu » 1 person likes this post

We are facing similar issue since U4.

in previous version Clusters were communicating perfectly, but since new version, we are unable to establish new cluster backups.

Already set up jobs are working, but you are unable to update to Agent version 3.

Nevertheless, we have different error message saying, "Failed to execute WMI query"

After a weeks of troubleshooting with Veeam and Microsoft, we have figured out, that all of our Clusters worldwide are based on same template and therefore all of them has error in WMI query root/MSCluster_resource.

According to the latest session with MS engineers, we have found out, that problem is probably with Oracle running on clusters and It´s Oracle Fail Safe property name "Instance" because WMI queries has "Instance" as a reserved word. We are qoing to update fail safe to 3.4.2.1 to see, if this help.

I got information from Veeam, that MSCluster_resource query is used since VBR U4 and it´s because new functionality of Volume based restore, which wasn´t presented in U3.

Thats why we were running with cluster backups before and now it´s not working, because this query simply were not use for communication before.
siyanor
Influencer

Post by siyanor »

@Paul
Thank you for your reply, But that is not the case,our veeam is joined to domain.
@Martin
Thank you for your reply.In our case we have EV (enterprise vault) installed on cluster nodes.anyways Veeam is still investigating and hopefully there will be an update on this case.( unfortunately our vendor has opened a new case while I was on annual leave , which made this case take a bit longer than usual )
siyanor
Influencer

Post by siyanor »

Unfortunately I was on annual leave which I could not update this case earlier.

Before going on vacation , Veeam support came to a conclusion that the issue is a OS (Microsoft) related issue which they referred us to below link:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ying-msclu
When I was back from vacation my colleagues had opened a different case and we end up ,with Veeam support saying this is a know issue with Veeam latest release (9.5.4)which they sent us a hot-fix for this issue.(I can post the link if it is not against the forum rules)

I will install the hot fix and update here if the issue is solved.
siyanor
Influencer

Post by siyanor » 1 person likes this post

Hi there,
This is to inform that we were able to fix this issue thanks to Veeam support.
after replacing the provided file by Veeam , We were able to transfer our cluster to new Veeam server and backup is taking place smoothly.

Regards,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ahmad,

Glad to hear that your issue is now resolved and thank you for sharing the update with the community!