Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
kakistos153
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Walsh

Veeam Agent SQL and Exchange restore

Post by kakistos153 »

To preface, its possible that my issue is a lack of understanding of how SQL and Exchange work.

Our client has Veeam agent for Windows set up on 3 VM's AD, Exchange, and SQL servers. I'm trying to nail down the process for performing granular restores for our documentation. This scenario (probably because its all free) doesn't seem well documented.

With the AD server, I just open the Veeam agent backup using the free version of Veeam B&R, choose Active Directory from the drop down and I can restore AD objects easily from there.
When I do the same with Exchange and SQL it prompts for the location of the database files.

Should I browse the location of the Exchange DB via UNC path \\mail\D$ etc? Or is there some other method I should use? I would have thought that through application awareness it should know where the databases are in the backup and use that location. Am I just expecting too much?

Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent SQL and Exchange restore

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Martin,

The database should be located automatically if your backup file was created with Veeam Agent for Windows running server edition with application aware processing checked. In other cases, you should specify the location of db manually. Take a look at this article and let me know if it helps - Adding Databases to Veeam Explorer Scope. Thanks!