Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
candrews
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Christopher Andrews

Veeam agent on Windows Server 2016 and SQL

Post by candrews »

Ive been digging through the forums, but didnt see this specific answer, so I wanted to pose this scenario.
We have a Windows Server 2016. It has a SQL 2016 Lite instance with a small database. No Hyper V, just a bare metal OS install. We installed Veeam Agent for Windows (free).
We are doing image backups for the entire volumes. Will that natively backup the sql database so that a restore would restore the database at the time the backup created the snapshot? Or must we have the "Server" license in order to backup the SQL? I understand the Server license allows more flexibility with backing up the SQL database, including transact logs, but this is just a small, simple database so we may not need all that flexibility. Thoughts?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam agent on Windows Server 2016 and SQL

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
in general I believe that everything will be fine with the free agent. As you already mention, the server agent allows log-shipping of SQL databases. If your SQL database does not have full recovery model, then you don't need that log-shipping feature

But: I cannot find SQL 2016 Lite edition on the Microsoft website. I found SQL Express, SQL Express LocalDB and there is SQLite. Do you maybe have a link to what kind of database you are using?

Best regards,
Hannes