Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
wwwKris
Novice
Liked: never

Viewing Changed Files in Backup

Post by wwwKris »

I'm using Veeam Agent for Windows. Is it possible to browse/view the changed files in an incremental backup? I'd like to see what changed between backup runs.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Viewing Changed Files in Backup

Post by nielsengelen »

There is currently no feature like this available.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

On a side note, can you tell your use case? Do you see high incremental rate or this request is just out of the curiosity?
wwwKris
Novice

Post by wwwKris »

Thanks for the replies.
Vitaliy S. wrote:On a side note, can you tell your use case? Do you see high incremental rate or this request is just out of the curiosity?
The use case this time was that the size of the incremental backup was larger than I was expecting. I was reasonably certain that no files were changed but the backup was still 30MB. I was hoping to be able to view the backup and see what files had been changed to help figure out why it was larger than I expected.

There would be other use cases I think though. For example, if you were trying to restore a previous version of a file before changes were made, it would be valuable to be able to go backwards through the backups (filtering only on changed files) until you found the backup where the file had been modified.
chaycock
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Carlton Haycock

Post by chaycock »

This has been asked for over and over....sure wish they would get the message that this (along with backup verification) is a highly sought after feature.
wwwKris
Novice

Post by wwwKris »

chaycock wrote:This has been asked for over and over....sure wish they would get the message that this (along with backup verification) is a highly sought after feature.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know others have asked for this as well - too bad it hasn't made the feature list yet. Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say "backup verification"? I haven't enabled it yet but I did see a setting for email notifications. I assume you're referring to something different though.
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

Currently there is no easy way (short of doing an actual restore) to verify that the backups are restorable. I and others have had instances where we went to restore a backup and the software told us there was a CRC error/bad block in the backup file and could not continue with the restore. So unless you want to actually do a full restore to some device, there is no way to make sure you backups will actually work when you need them the most.
wwwKris
Novice

Post by wwwKris »

chaycock wrote:Currently there is no easy way (short of doing an actual restore) to verify that the backups are restorable.
Yikes, that sounds like a pretty big limitation - would be horrible to find out that your backup is non-functional during a restore. Have you heard of any other free solutions that offer that?
chaycock
Enthusiast

Post by chaycock »

I have not done a lot of research. I am really hoping that they will close this gap because for the most part, this is a really nice product and I would much rather keep using it than have to switch. I'm not really sure what the hold up is, they obviously already have the code that reads the backup files, all they would need to do is read the files without doing a restore just to make sure the file integrity was good.