Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jpabaires
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Pablo Assisi

Virus in the network: risk?

Post by jpabaires »

Hello community,
I HAVE A REALLY SILLY/STUPID QUESTION, SORRY AND THANKS IN ADVANCE:
What could happen if in a small bussines company's network (ISP ROUTER + SW + 5 PC + 1 PC/SERVER WS2K8R2 With Veeam Windows Agent) a computer got infected with let's say some wanna cry alike virus, and then the server, file level corruption, but I have all the data in a previous backup done with Veeam agent for Windows in backup level files mode, those files, the actuals ones and the backed up ones are copied to an external usb HD and to the google cloud service.
> Can backups files done with Veeam agent for Windows in backup level files mode get infected or are protected somehow?

WOULD A BACKUP FILE GET CORRUPTED WITH/FOR A VIRUS IN THE LAN AND GET UNABLE TO RESTORE? >>>> ???

I'll appreciate any possitive feedback about this, but feel free to bully me for asking this n00b thing...

Thanks in advance.

JPA
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Virus in the network: risk?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Pablo.

The best way to protect your backups from cryptolockers of any kind is too keep a secondary copy of your backups off site. For example, you can use USB drives as a target for your backups and keep them disconnected from your hosts most of the time. In you have Veeam B&R server you can leverage backup copy jobs and move your backups to a secondary repository. Backup to tape media works quite well in such case too.