Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

VSS Error 0x8004230f

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 2 people like this post

Hi guys,

After many hours of trying lots of different options to fix this error (below), I narrowed it down to it failing only on the data drive by selecting only the OS partition and System Restore partitions and it then working, while adding the data drive resulted in it not working with the resulting error message below. It turned out that after the Veeam Agent restore of the server the Shadow Copies had switched themselves off on the data drive. I don't know how it changed itself from Enabled to Disabled, but it did! Problem solved!

20/08/2018 11:55:54 a.m. :: Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x8004230f].
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VSS Error 0x8004230f

Post by Dima P. »

Hey Alex.

Thank you for sharing t your issue and resolution with the community. I'll pass it to our QA department to make sure we are aware of this behavior. Cheers!