Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

Wake on LAN for Server Agent

Post by dasfliege »

We have several clients that need to be backed up, because they run some industrial database stuff. We are using the server agent managed by the B&R server right now, but any time one of the client isn't stated up during the scheduled backuptime, the job fails.
Unfortunately there is very few scheduling options in the server license. Things like "wake-up" are only available in the workstation license, which doesn't make a lot sense to me. We do need the server license, as we need application-aware backups. Do we have to create some wake-on-lan scripts now and run them prior to each backup? Or is there any plan to implement more scheduling options in the server livensed agents soon?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Wake on LAN for Server Agent

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi dasfliege,

The "wake-up" option is not available for the server operation mode, because servers should always be online and connected as opposed to laptops and mobile devices. Can you please elaborate a bit more on the reason why these servers with industrial databases are not online? Is it a scheduled reboot or something else?

Thanks!
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

Post by dasfliege »

They actually aren't servers but normal clients. People from production department are working on these clients until they finished their work for the day and then, they will shut it down. However, they have a pretty special industrial software loaded locally, which needs to get backed up. Unfortunately there is no proper way to offload the application to a "real" server, so they have to run it locally.

In my opinion, it would be little work to include more scheduling options for the server agent, as they already exist for the workstation. I'm fully aware that a "server" usually runs around the clock, but i only use agents for special scenerios anyway and this is one of them.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

While it might be a little work, there are other features pending with a higher priority for our next updates, but thanks for your FR! We will see what we can do to address your specific use case.