Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Why can't an Agent backup be managed by multiple B&R servers?

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

What is the reason Windows Agent devices can only be managed (and backed up) by one B&R server? I noticed this issue while moving a server off a community edition test rig onto our main system and just wondered why you can't backup a managed Agent to two places at the same time? You have to delete it and fully remove all references from the first system before a second system can talk to it.

At the end of the day I suppose it's not a major issue but it does sort-of push you in the direction of compromising the integrity of old backups on an old system in order to be able to move a job to a new one.

That's unless there is some better recommended way of moving an agent backup to a new B&R without extricating the physical server job from an existing B&R.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Why can't an Agent backup be managed by multiple B&R servers?

Post by Mildur »

Hi EJ

That‘s the way it is build today. Only one VBR can be a master server of a single agent. May I know the use case why two backup servers should be allowed?

Thanks,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Why can't an Agent backup be managed by multiple B&R servers?

Post by ejenner »

Migration