Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Mate M.
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Windows 10 does not boot after restoring the system partition

Post by Mate M. »

I backed up a newly installed Windows 10 PC with Veeam Backup for Windows (Entire PC).
Due to a software issue elsewhere, I wanted to restore Windows back to its original (freshly installed) state and successfully performed a bare metal recovery of the system partition via the Veeam Recovery Medium.
But afterwards the PC did not boot anymore. Windows startup help could not fix it either.
What did I do wrong?
Who can help me?

I would hate to reinstall the PC and reconfigure all settings and applications.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Windows 10 does not boot after restoring the system partition

Post by Mildur »

Hello Mate,

That sounds like a technical issue. Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic. Without case number, the topic will eventually be deleted by moderators.

Maybe you are affected by the Microsoft secure boot patch.
https://www.veeam.com/kb4452

Did you have created the first backup before you have installed all windows updates? After you install KB5025885 from Microsoft, Active Full backups must be created or the computer won't be able to boot.

Best regards,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mate M.
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by Mate M. »

Case-Nr. 06291467
Thanks for your rapid response, Fabian.
No idea if any updates were installed in the background in the short time after new installation. I assume: Yes.
But unfortunately I don't know, if the KB5025885 you mentioned was installed, because I restored the system partition and Windows 10 is now stuck in diagnostic mode.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thank you for the case number.
The situation with Microsoft's Secure Boot patch is the only thing I can imagine. But we cannot verify it over this forum post. Therefore going through our customer support is the best way forward.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software