Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
apiening
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andreas Piening

Windows VM keeps rebooting after fresh restore

Post by apiening »

I have opened a case with ID# 02319768 on this issue.

I'm running Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0.0.700 on Windows Server 2016.
The system runs in a KVM/QEMU VM and I'm using "paravirtualized drivers (virtIO)" for my network and SCSI storage controller.
I have created a custom restore ISO so that I have the needed drivers available in case of a restore.
I decided to do a test restore of the machine on another node, using the same VM settings with just less RAM. So the virtual devices are the same than the the VM on which I have created the backups, except for a different MAC address vor the NIC.
When I boot the Veeam recovery ISO I have no network and no storage devices. When I click on "load drivers" I can see that the drivers for my devices are there, but they have a yellow explanation mark. The details are telling me that the drivers are not compatible with the PE environment. That came as a surprise to me, I thought every Windows driver would run here. There was no warning from the ISO wizard regarding that potential issue.
However I switched my VM config to NIC and Storage devices that are supported by Windows PE of the shelf temporarily.
I was able to access the storage and NIC now and did a bare metal restore.
At the end I opted for a shutdown in favor of a reboot, so that I was able to change the VM settings back to the original ones.

The first startup was complete, but then Windows rejected my login attempt telling me that there are no authentication sources available.
Then the Windows Server 2016 initiated a reboot on its own. From my understanding it has detected some HW changes and then did a gracefull restart to adopt to the new environment.

After this reboot the system fails to start and after a few seconds with the white spinning circle I get a blue screen telling me that "there was a problem with the PC and it needs to be restarted". The halt code is "0xc00002e2" which gives me no explanation what the exact problem is.
On the blue screen there is a progress reported on collecting information on this error which takes a while. After this the machine reboots into the same blue screen over and over again.

What can I do to get my system up and running again using the bare metal restore option?

Thank you for your help!
apiening
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andreas Piening

Re: Windows VM keeps rebooting after fresh restore

Post by apiening »

Ok, my issue is resolved.

The veeam support suggested two things:
- Disabling the injection of the drivers (un der tools menu on the start screen). That has not halped in my case.
- Re-Attaching the disks to the VM. I removed the virtual disks and attached new ones. Then the restore worked right away without any issues.

I have to say that I'm impressed by the support. Especially how fast the response time was and that the support staff understood my issue and came up with a solution that solved my issue immediately.

Thank you!