Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
r-low
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Lowdon

Working with Large Backup Files

Post by r-low »

Hi,

I am working with a client who has a very large file server that they are attempting to backup using Veeam. The file server is a VM but it has a number of RDMs configured on it and we are using the Veeam Agent to back it up. The current size of the backup file is approximately 22TB in size. The backup job completed successfully but we are running into issues running a test restore. When they launch the wizard to restore Windows guest files, the process appears to hang. They started a restore job late one afternoon and left it overnight to mount the backup file. When they arrived in the morning, it was still at the same point and nothing had mounted.

Is anyone else dealing with such a large backup file for their servers and if so, how are you backing them up? I'm considering running a backup job by volume but I'm interested to see if there are other options to get around this bottleneck. The physical agents in this environment are all being managed by a B&R Server and the proxy servers are physical with about 10 TB of storage availability on each. Let me know what our next steps should be to ensure that restores from files of this size can be performed within their current SLA agreements. Thanks for your time in reviewing and I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers!!
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Working with Large Backup Files

Post by wishr »

Hi Ryan,

Have you had a chance to look at the log files to determine what could be causing the bottleneck? Could you please share some details with us? I.e. logs, errors, etc. Or you just noticed the hanged wizard without any errors and nothing was captured by the logs?

Also, how the wizard was launched? Using VBR console or Agent interface?

It may be a good idea to open a support case since such situations require deep investigation. If you manage to reach out our support team please post your case ID.

Thank you
r-low
Service Provider

Post by r-low »

Hi,

We aren't seeing any error messages at all. The wizard just appears to hang up without any errors.

The wizard was launched using the VBR console.

We are going to attempt to run the restore job one more time and then will open a support ticket in the morning if it is still hung up. When I have some additional information, I'll be sure to post it in here.

Thanks
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your efforts. We should be able to identify the root cause and provide an appropriate solution once have a look at the logs and the corresponding information. Based on what we know right now there should not be any difficulties. Please keep us posted.

Thanks!
r-low
Service Provider

Post by r-low »

Hi,

We tried the restore job again and the same behavior existed. There is no pop-up, no error, no feedback, nothing. It just shows as working.

Can you tell me where the log files will be stored so I can check to see if anything is written there? Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Ryan,

I would suggest extracting the logs for the particular machine you were trying to restore. This can be done right in the B&R UI. Simply limit the scope to the required machine and the days when you were experiencing the difficulty.

Once extracted you can take a look at the Console log stored by the following path: C:\"your destination"\logs\"logname.zip"\"brservername"\Backup\Console. If something critical has happened when loading the backup file, the events indicating that will be located somewhere after the "Starting command: Veeam.Backup.UI.BackupWinFlrCommand" line (applicable only for your particular case since you mentioned FLR in the initial post).

If that won't help I would strongly suggest reaching out our support team for advanced analysis. Please don't forget to post your Case ID here, so we'll be able to track it and assist when necessary.

Thanks,
Fedor