Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Stevo63
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stefan

Booting Recovery Image 5.0.0 Agent for Linx on Laptop with HD Panels fail

Post by Stevo63 » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
just to mention a Problem with Agent for Linux 5 and its Recovery Image from http://repository.veeam.com/backup/linu ... media/x64/), be it veeam-recovery-amd64-5.0.0.iso from there or the one which is offered as veeam-recovery-media-5.0.1.4493_x86_64.iso if i'm logged in or the iso which the setup uses in building it at setup time.

First - sorry if i cant express that absolutely correct because i'm no native english speaker :-)

Ok, so i have a Fujitsu Laptop Serie A357 as Machine, which makes backup with agent for linux 4 on Debian 10 Buster up to now. Recovery media was veeam-recovery-media-4.0.1.2365_x86_64_angepasst.iso which is a patched version of the original from veeam. It was made with setup as we updated from agent 3 to 4. we tested it an it boots up flawlessly and we do the other recovery test also sucessfully.

In preparing for the Update to bullseye, i lift veeam agent to version 5 on the existing Debian 10 Setup. Setup offers to make the recovery media and so i did. Booting from this media gives a picture of the recovery wizard which is way to big and runs out of screen to the right side so we cant see only parts of the menu contents.

we figured out that this is caused by the existing /boot/grub/grub.cfg in the iso. The entry for booting the iso is

Code: Select all

menuentry "Patched Veeam Recovery 4.19.0-18-amd64" {
	linux	/vmlinuz-4.19.0-18-amd64 usbcore.autosuspend=-1 vga=773 video=1024x768 boot=veeam-live
	initrd	/initrd.img-4.19.0-18-amd64
}
which is too big for the hd Panel of this fujitsu laptop which has native res 1920x1080. If we do a "e" on the grup boot screen an change this "video.." to "video=1920x1080" which results in booting grub with

Code: Select all

menuentry "Patched Veeam Recovery 4.19.0-18-amd64" {
	linux	/vmlinuz-4.19.0-18-amd64 usbcore.autosuspend=-1 vga=773 video=1920x1080 boot=veeam-live
	initrd	/initrd.img-4.19.0-18-amd64
}
and proceed with F10 it displays correctly. with this we have "only" the ongoing problem that the keyboard layout is english qwerty and we have to work around this in putting the credentials for recovery correctly based on our qwertz layout...

We kindly ask you to provide this information on the FAQ or known issues of agent for linux 5 or change the grub setup or give a 2nd entry with "auto" settings and surely we would be more than happy if you can fix the keyboard issue also.

kind regards from germany

stevo
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Booting Recovery Image 5.0.0 Agent for Linx on Laptop with HD Panels fail

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Noted. This article will be updated shortly with the info that you provided.

As for adding "auto" entry and an option to switch layouts - this will be scheduled for one of the next Recovery Media updates.

Thank you for your feedback, it was a pleasure to read a thorough explanation of the problem.

Cheers
Stevo63
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stefan

Re: Booting Recovery Image 5.0.0 Agent for Linx on Laptop with HD Panels fail

Post by Stevo63 »

Hi,

thank you. least i can do is to share my investigations :-)

Can you tell something about the keyboard issue?

kind regards from germany

stevo