Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
itm60
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Can't delete job in free Agent for Linux

Post by itm60 »

I'm trying out the free version of the Veeam Agent for Linux on a Lubuntu 20.04 VM. I was able to create and run a job. It generated warnings, but I couldn't find a way of viewing the warnings.
In any case, I now want to try a scheduled daily job. I have tried deleting my existing job, so that I can start configuring a new job, but when I try this command:

Code: Select all

sudo veeamconfig job delete --name backupv2004
I get this message:

This operation is not permitted if management mode is [Job]
Any idea how I can delete this job and create a new, scheduled job?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Can't delete job in free Agent for Linux

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi

You can try the following command. Looks like your veeam agent is or was managed by a veeam server.
It should delete the entire configuration and revert it back to the standalone mode. All configuration will be deleted from the agent. Old backup Files will not be removed.

sudo veeamconfig mode reset
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
itm60
Influencer

Post by itm60 »

Many thanks - that did the trick!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Mildur is spot on. Moreover, if you deployed the agent and created the job using VBR server, then I would suggest you to manage the backup job from VBR console instead of trying to manage the agent manually via CLI.

Thanks!
itm60
Influencer

Post by itm60 »

I didn't think the VBR console would allow me to manage the job if I use the ESXi free edition?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You can deploy the agent and manage it with a vbr server. Even with the free esxi host.
A paid esxi license is only needed for vm level backup jobs. Not for managed Veeam Agent Backups.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
itm60
Influencer

Post by itm60 »

I just had a quick look at the VBR console and I can't find an option to select the the backup destination. I can select a volume to be backed up, and set a schedule, but can't select the destination storage device that I want (which is an RDM drive allocated to the VM being backed up). Should this be possible?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You need to create the corresponding backup repository first, then you will be able to select it as a target for any backup job.
itm60
Influencer

Post by itm60 »

That's great - many thanks. Unfortunately when I tried running a new job I got this:

3/29/2022 1:27:37 PM :: Error: Failed to get line from blocked queue: An error has occured on SSH app service: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host  
??
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I've never seen this error before so it must be something specific to your environment. Please open a support case for further investigation.
itm60
Influencer

Post by itm60 »

I just tried the job again and this time it seems to be running OK (10% complete so far).
As far I can see, the VBR Console can only see/manage jobs which have been created by the Console application - i.e. I don't see the job that I created from Veeam Agent within the VM. Is that correct?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, it's not. The VBR console should see all agent jobs which are configured to use a Veeam backup repository.
itm60
Influencer

Post by itm60 »

When I ran Veeam Agent, and created the backup job, from within the VM I didn't configure it to use any backup repository - I don't think I was given that option. In view of this, is it logical that the VBR Console doesn't have visibility of that job?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, totally logical.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

I just had a quick look at the VBR console and I can't find an option to select the the backup destination. I can select a volume to be backed up, and set a schedule, but can't select the destination storage device that I want (which is an RDM drive allocated to the VM being backed up). Should this be possible?
If you want to back up the volume to another volume that is directly attached to the VM, you need to create a backup policy of 'managed by Agent' type. This policy type allows you to select a local storage as a backup destination, and it will give you some visibility from VBR server.

This string that you see on your Linux host:

This operation is not permitted if management mode is [Job]
means that your agent is controlled by VBR server in a 'Managed by backup server' mode which does not allow you to send backup anywhere else except VBR repositories.

If you've configured the job from within the VM, then the only way to see it on VBR would be to use VBR repositories.

Thanks!
itm60
Influencer

Post by itm60 »

If I set up a job using the Agent wizard on the VM which is being backed up, and I want the backup destination to be a shared folder, am I right in assuming that there is no way to make that job visible to the VBR server?
Since the VBR server is not always running I need the Agent on the VM to manage the automatic daily backups, but it would be useful to monitor the jobs from the VBR server if possible, and also to perform any necessary restore jobs from there.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

That is correct. VBR integration requires backing up to a Veeam backup repository, not just to a standalone share.
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver »

We get the same error with an agent being managed by the VBR server, but already when just trying to recovery data (files) from the agent side via CLI.
Is it supported to have the agent under VBR management, but still be able to occasionally recovery files from those managed backups directly from within the system?

Thanks,
Mike