Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
iamlouyo
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Lou Yovin

Don't use a link for /tmp

Post by iamlouyo »

Not sure if this fits here, but here is a quirk (my opinion) in Veeam Agent for Linux. If I try to run a backup to my NAS using SMB or NFS, I get an error saying it cannot mount to /tmp/veeam/IP/share name or path. This is because my /tmp folder is really a link to a /tmp folder on another drive. This was originally done to relieve usage on a small SSD with the Linux OS. If I change to a /tmp folder instead of the link, it is OK. Probably not something other people do. Put it here because the error message is not too helpful. I have no other problems using a link instead of a directory.

Lou
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Don't use a link for /tmp

Post by Andreas Neufert »

You said you linked it... Did you try to mount it to /tmp instead?
iamlouyo
Influencer

Post by iamlouyo »

The tmp directory is a link to a directory on another drive. I am unaware how I can mount that. Veeam does create the directory in the linked /tmp directory but then says it doesn't exist. Doesn't make sense. That link works fine if I am backing up to a local drive. It only fails going to my NAS. Either SMB or NFS.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

You can set "tempFolder" parameter in /etc/veeam/veeam.ini to any path of your choice. That will make VAL to use the specified directory instead of tmp.

Thanks!
iamlouyo
Influencer

Post by iamlouyo »

Thank you. Could you be a little more specific? I don't see a commented entry for that and inserting it in backup and core did not seem to work. I see a tmpDir entry but only for Oracle.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

It should be in [core]

Code: Select all

[core]
# Path to the tmp directory
# tempFolder = /tmp/veeam
If it's not there, just add it manually. You'll need to restart the service so that it picks up the changes.

Thanks!
iamlouyo
Influencer

Post by iamlouyo »

Thanks much. That did it.
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj »

Just to put in my two cents, I think bind mounting would be the way to go here instead of symlinking.
It's a direct replication of a an existing directory under a different mounting point:

Code: Select all

The bind mounts.
Since Linux 2.4.0 it is possible to remount part of the file hierarchy somewhere else. The call is
mount --bind olddir newdir

or shortoption
mount -B olddir newdir

or fstab entry is:
/olddir /newdir none bind

After this call the same contents is accessible in two places. One can also remount a single file (on a single file).