Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
graymalkin
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Veeam Agent for Linux 5.0 and Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Post by graymalkin »

This is just an FYI, something I encountered after working on this issue all day. It appears that Ubuntu 20.04.3 installs the 5.8 kernel. Once this happens, Veeam Agent for Linux 5.0 will no longer work. I kept getting this in my logs:

Code: Select all

[error] Failed to perform backup                                                                                                                          
[error] Server error 301: Moved Permanently                                                                                                               
[error] Processing finished with errors at 2021-11-27 00:16:32 UTC
To get around this, I uninstalled Veeam Agent 5.0 and installed 4.0. 4.0 works without an issue. Hoping to save someone else from a headache with this post.

Veeam makes great products, been using them for years, I think this is the first issue I've ever really ran into.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Agent for Linux 5.0 and Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing a solution.

The solution sounds odd to me, but good to hear that it works for you :-)

The kernel version I see in 20.04.3 is 5.4.0-90, but I don't have the HWE kernel package. We also have Veeam Agent for Linux 5.0.1 available since some weeks.

Best regards,
Hannes
graymalkin
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by graymalkin »

Hi, thank you.

Sorry, I neglected to mention that this is not a Server install, but rather a Desktop install of Ubuntu. I believe the Desktop versions ship with HWE by default. We only have a very small number of Desktop Ubuntu installs, which would explain why we haven't seen this before. We are not seeing this issue anywhere else, 99% of our physical Linux machines are server versions (Fedora, CentOS, etc); the kernel numbers are all 5.4 or lower. I believe your point about HWE is spot on, the Desktop versions with the HWE kernel are pushing a later kernel version.

Thanks for the clarification, this definitely sheds a bit more light on why we were having this issue. So far, Agent 4.0 has succeeded with our file-level backups for this particular machine. We will stick with this version for the time being.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Code: Select all

[error] Server error 301: Moved Permanently     
I am pretty confident that this error has nothing to do with a kernel version. Kindly open a support case so we can take a look at the logs.

Thank you