Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dfehse
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Fehse

Dynamic distribution list

Post by dfehse »

VBO still not support dynamic distribution list with modern authentication. As MS now disable that VBO becomes a useless pice of software in bigger environments. How else would it be possible to manage thousends of users? Adding them always to a group and take them out is definitily not solution, is ovious that this will be forgotten and leads to missing backups of usermailboxes. Sorry but this needs to be addet URGENTLY now!
Rds Daniel Fehse
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Dynamic distribution list

Post by Mike Resseler »

Daniel,

I agree that it should be added. But the limitation is not on our side I'm afraid. (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answe ... lists.html)
dfehse
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Fehse

Post by dfehse »

.. sorry for me this is not an excuse. Veeam sells a software that quite expensive and I think has egnough ressources to find another way to fullfill the requirement of fetching user base on properties and not but them in fixed groups. I think you agree that handling thousends of mailboxes like this is nightmare and leads to mistakes and/or missing backup data.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Daniel,

It might not be an excuse as you claim, but as I said, we cannot use the GRAPH API to get those groups and understand the users in there.
But may I ask why you are using dynamic distribution groups? With those users I assume you have an onboarding / offboarding process? Personally, in my admin days I have always used security groups to manage users.
chrisflyckelen
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Post by chrisflyckelen »

Hello guys,

i agree. For example, with dynamic distribution groups it was possible to filter shared mailboxes dynamically. Using modern authentication only this is not possible anymore.
You don't receive any output if you use the PowerShell cmdlet "Get-VBOOrganizationUser -Type SharedMailbox" with modern authentication.

From my knowledge it is not possible to filter those mailboxes in a dynamic Azure AD group. So a good conceptional backup job configuration for shared mailboxes (if you have huge amount of them) is not possible.

But don't get me wrong, I understand that the root cause of that issue is Microsoft related.

Greets,
Chris