Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
rtheseeker
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rajeev Mehta

Dynamic Group Support

Post by rtheseeker »

Just want to check "I thought about using dynamic groups, but these are not supported with modern app-only authentication"; we are using dynamic groups with Mordern Authentication; we had used a script that puts users into seprate groups basis the object ID; and then there are multiple jobs which protect these multiple groups to independent repository and the backups are working.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2302 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Dynamic Group Support

Post by Mildur »

Hello Rajeev

- Dynamic Distribution groups are not supported --> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/excha ... te-new-eac

- Dynamic Azure AD security groups are supported --> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure ... reate-rule

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dali@iae.nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Da Li

Post by dali@iae.nl »

We use indeed Azure Dynamic Groups succesful. Only the choice of selection seems a bit short.
So we decided to split the jobs on First Names.
Than the Dynamic Membership Rule Syntax looks like:
(user.displayName -startsWith "v") or (user.displayName -startsWith "w") or (user.displayName -startsWith "x") or (user.displayName -startsWith "y") or (user.displayName -startsWith "z") and (user.userType -eq "Member")

Do others use another method or selection?
tgieskes
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: T Gieskes

Post by tgieskes »

Hi,

i was checking out these groups to seperate users based on license.
but now i am noticing that when a user is no longer assoicaited with the dynamic security group i am not able to find the data in previous restore points.

is it so that when we are backing up a dynamic security group if the user leaves the group the Data is no longer available/Lost?

or did i set the group up wrong?

Thos Gieskes.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 710 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Thos,

If the user is no longer in the scope of a backup job, you can view their historical restore points by exploring an entire organization.