Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
jhampton
Lurker
Liked: never

immutable backup copy design confusion

Post by jhampton »

I'm a bit confused on the best way to approach backup design in O365. My goal is to have 7 yearly backups of Exchange/Onedrive/SPO that are immutable, and 3 months of regular airgapped backups. Currently I have Object storage set up in Wasabi for Exchange/Onedrive/SPO, one that is 3 month retention for regular backups and one that is 7 year retention and immutable. I've set up a backup copy job from each 3 month retention backup to the corresponding immutable object storage. My fear is that nightly restore points from the 3 month retention backup being copied over to something that is immutable and set to 7 year retention will drive up costs. Would it be a better design to just do a completely separate "yearly" backup that kicks off only once per year, copies out to Wasabi object storage, then do a backup copy job off of that one to immutable storage, to reduce the number of restore points and the overall size? I know Wasabi has good pricing for storage but I'm afraid if I design it wrong I'll start getting hit with big fees eventually. Any recommendations or advice appreciated. Thanks!
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: immutable backup copy design confusion

Post by Polina »

Hi jhampton and welcome to our Forums,

With the second option, costs will be lower, of course. But will it be OK for you that a year of data/changes between your job runs will not be available for restores?
jhampton
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: immutable backup copy design confusion

Post by jhampton »

Yep, its exceedingly rare for us to have a need to go back more than 3 months for backup purposes.