Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
stevekarra
Technology Partner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Karra

M365 Backup to non-SMBv3 storage targets

Post by stevekarra »

I know NAS targets are experimental, but does the SMBv3 requirement (https://www.veeam.com/kb2971) apply solely to Windows Server NAS or does it generally apply to everything including Linux? i.e. is there something in SMBv3 like file locking or write-thru to disk that mandates it? [I'm looking at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... b-overview for an overview of some of the NFS v3 enhancements for Windows]

I'd like to use a Data Domain as my target as all my VM/file/DB backups are stored there, and if it's just performance that's an issue it may still work for me if I test it.

Thank you for any guidance.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: M365 Backup to non-SMBv3 storage targets

Post by Mildur »

Hi Steve

Using Data Domains is a bad option as backup storage with VB365. VB365 stores its data in a Jet database if you use block-based or SMB backup repositories. If you run a database from a dedup appliance, you get really poor performance. And VB365 database repositories require decent performance.

If you can add the data domain as an Active Directory member and add the VB365 computer account to the share permissions, then it should work with a Linux SMB server over SMB v3.0. However, I do not recommend using the data domain for these Jet databases.
Please consider another storage design for this product. We recommend object storage, which will also give you a really good compression (~50%) of the source data.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
PAP400
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paolo Pallara

Post by PAP400 »

Hello,
I'm intersted too to use DD as a Veeam for O365 repo: does anyone tried to mount an NFS exported MTree as a datastore and use it just for the local vDisk used for backup by Veeam for O365?

TIA

PAP400
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Paolo

Please consider another storage. You will most likely face performance issues.
And NFS is not supported by VB365. Also don't use it as a VMware Datastore workaround.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software