Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
pazzoide76
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Simone

Microsoft Office 365 on the same server as VBR 9.5 u4 and question about repositories

Post by pazzoide76 »

Hello,
I currently have VBR version 9.5 u4 (Build 9.5.4.2866) installed on a server to back up my VMs on premises.
Now since I have migrated the mailboxes to office 365 I bought Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 (Veeam.Backup365_4.0.1.531,VeeamExplorerForExchange_4.0.1.519,VeeamExplorerForSharePoint_4.0.1.519) to back up 60 users.
O365 backups will be placed on a nas qnap.
My questions are:
Is the O365 backup repository better ISCSI or SMB?
Is it possible to install Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 on the same machine where VBR is installed?
If so, is it better to install Microsoft Office 365 on a dedicated machine? Why is it better to install it on a dedicated machine?
What are the pros and cons of installing Microsoft Office 365 on a dedicated machine versus installing it on the same server where VBR is installed?

Thank you

Regards
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1264 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Microsoft Office 365 on the same server as VBR 9.5 u4 and question about repositories

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi @pazzoide76

It is better ISCSI. I am not certain on the specs of a QNAP nas, but I fear that could be an issue. We are not landing data like VBR, but we have a JET DB running as a repository. So be aware of potential storage issues.

It is possible to install VBO on the same machine as VBR, but you need to be careful, as the explorers need to match at this point in time, otherwise you get compatibility issues.

To me, it is better to install it (preferred virtually) on a different server. That will allow you never to have conflicts with the Veeam explorers. It also will make sure that your server is not going to go in overdrive when VBR and VBO are performing backups at the same time. Last but not least, if it is installed on a VM, it also means that you can use VBR to take a backup of the entire VBO server (and even perform Item-level recovery from that VM Backup) as a secondary safeguarding mechanism.
pazzoide76
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Simone

Re: Microsoft Office 365 on the same server as VBR 9.5 u4 and question about repositories

Post by pazzoide76 »

Ok

thank you