Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
NAP-LN
Novice
Liked: never

Modern Auth, SharePoint and Error 429

Post by NAP-LN »

Hi,

Deploying Veeam M365 for the first time in my new role, I have plenty of experience with on Prem deployments where this role is mainly Azure so still navigating Azure.

Reading through the doco here :https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70 and it says:
Due to recent restrictions that were applied by Microsoft, Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 invokes you to use a single Azure AD application when backing up data in your production SharePoint environment.
On this advice we only have the original AD Application when creating the Org in Veeam M365 but are getting a lot of 429 errors, I have opened a case with support, case #05929230. Our environment isn't large at all <100 user. What impact or implications are there to creating multiple AD Applications for backup?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Modern Auth, SharePoint and Error 429

Post by Mildur »

Hello

A few applications 1-10 for the initial backup job shouldn‘t be an issue. Too many application may get you throttled even faster.

How many backup applications are you currently running?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

To add to this, when you do the initial backup (first, so full backup) it is sometimes a good idea to take a few more applications. However, once the full is done, and in less larger environments, going back to a lower number of app registrations is the best practice to avoid throttling. However, we did notice that sometimes going back to 1 does not always work so I would advise to build the # of registrations down step by step
NAP-LN
Novice

Post by NAP-LN »

Missed the notifications for this. We only had 1 application running and it took a few days to capture our tenant. We have <3TB of data on M365 so any more than that you will need more applications.
Jameswalter
Lurker
Full Name: James walter

Post by Jameswalter »

You get 429 errors as Microsoft is limiting the rate of the number of requests you can make at once.