Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
confindustriabg
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco

Move repository keeping original server

Post by confindustriabg »

Hi to all,
we have a running Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 version 6.0.0.385 using local proxy and a repository connected in iSCSI.
Now we would change the repo, creating a new one always connected in iSCSI but extend to an external Object Storage Cloud Provider.

After opening a ticket, support tell to us to create the new local repo (extended to Object Storage), copy the data using copy/paste on Windows, modify the job pointing the new repo and start.

The problem seem that new repo doesn't like the original data because there is the object storage extension.

Can someone help us to find a solution to use the new repo but keeping the original server?

Thanks indeed for support.

Marco
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2311 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Move repository keeping original server

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi

If you want to start using Object Storage as your Backup Target, you must create a new repository. When you store your backups to Object storage, VB365 needs a backup repository with a local folder for the cache data (metadata) and object storage as the extension. This local folder cannot contain any other backup repo files from the old repository. I believe, that's what you are trying to do.

Adding Object Storage:
1) Add the Object Storage
2) Add a new backup repository with an empty folder on local disk as Cache Disk and extend it with the object storage

Now you have to decide
- if you want to keep the old repository (iSCSI) for restores until the retention period is over and start new backups to objects storage.
- if you want to migrate the backups from the old repository to the new repository with object storage

If you decide to migrate the data, use our KB article for the migration. It's not just a copy Paste operation as you have tried.
https://www.veeam.com/kb3067

I recommend to leave the old repository on your iSCSI Disks for restores and start new Backups to the object storage. The migration process can take hours to days, depending on how much data you want to transfer. And you can't do backups until the migration process is finished successfully.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 711 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Marco,

Could you please also share the ID of your support case? I'd like to review your case details and contact the engineer.

Thanks!
confindustriabg
Novice

Mildur wrote: Jun 08, 2022 1:48 pm
Hi Fabian, thank you indeed for your reply.
If i want to migrate data to the new local repository and do the second copy to external object storage, using instruction of KB3067 is sufficient to migrate data between 2 local repositories and then the new one will send automaticcaly data to Object Storage?

Thanks,

Marco
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Marco,

VB365 doesn't make backup copies from local block-based repositories to object storage, but it can back up directly to object storage.

The way to go is to create a new repository extended to object storage, migrate existing data to this new repository and proceed using it as your main target for backups (i.e. point your backup jobs to this new repository).

Makes sense?
confindustriabg
Novice

Hi Polina, i'm thinking like Veaam Backup and Replication.
I want a local copy and a second copy to object storage.
So my idea is to create a new local repository (iSCSI) and extend it to object storage like second copy?
Is correct?

Thank you,

Marco
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

With VB365, it works a bit differently. Backup copy is not supported for local block-based (or Jet-based) repositories.

You create a repository extended to object storage (S3 compatible, Azure Blob, or AWS S3) for your daily backups - let's call it primary (the data will be written directly to OS).
Then you create another repository extended to object storage (this time, select Azure Archive or AWS Glacier) - it will be used as a secondary repository for your backup copies.

With this configuration, you can create a primary backup to object storage of your choice and configure a backup copy job pointed to an archive-tier repository.
confindustriabg
Novice

Ok, so when you say "You create a repository extended to object storage (S3 compatible, Azure Blob, or AWS S3) for your daily backups - let's call it primary (the data will be written directly to OS)." you mean that the Object Storage is used only to expand the avaiable space of the local repo?

Thanks
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Object storage will be used for storing all your backups, while the local part of the repository will be used for keeping a database with a cache.

For some additional information, you can also check out our Best Practices guide.

Thanks!