Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Object Storage Immutability and Item Level Retention

Post by cerberus »

Hi all,

Can someone explain to me item level retention in dummy terms?

Using VBM365 to backup Office 365 (SharePoint, Teams, OneDrive, and Exchange). Using an Exchange mailbox as an example, if I receive a new message in my mailbox today, and my Veeam retention policy is set to keep items for 1 year, and the backups run every night, what will happen when...

I delete the new message in a few days, will it remain in the s3 bucket immutable for 1 year before its automatically deleted?

I file the message away in a inbox folder to keep indefinitely (no mailbox retention policies that delete), will it stay in the s3 bucket or be deleted? If deleted, when? After the 1 year retention policy elapses on the bucket?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Object Storage Immutability and Item Level Retention

Post by Mildur »

Hello Mirza

Item Level retention depends on the created/modified date of an item. The mail you received today will be kept for 1 year in the backup repository. After 1 year, this email gets removed from the backup repository.
I delete the new message in a few days, will it remain in the s3 bucket immutable for 1 year before its automatically deleted?
Yes, it will stay for 1 year in your S3 bucket. Immutability depends on your specified retention. The Mail stays immutable in the repository until the retention is over. Please note, only backup copy jobs can be set immutable.
I file the message away in a inbox folder to keep indefinitely (no mailbox retention policies that delete), will it stay in the s3 bucket or be deleted? If deleted, when? After the 1 year retention policy elapses on the bucket?
It stays in the backup for 1 year.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Re: Object Storage Immutability and Item Level Retention

Post by cerberus »

Thanks Fabian,

Noted on backup copy jobs, we updated to V7 a week ago to take advantage of this new immutability feature on copy jobs.