Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
AbdelO
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

[VBO365] Object Storage S3 Backup

Post by AbdelO »

Hello,

I have a question about backup storage with VBO365.

We have installed a VBO365 server and configured a compatible S3 object storage. Then create a backup repository and we made a storage extension with our S3 bucket.

My question is the following: Is it necessary to have as much block storage on the server that hosts VBO as object storage? For example: If I make a backup of my Office365 which is 500Gb, will it first copy the data locally (on my server that hosts VBO) and then copy it to my S3 bucket or will it send directly to my S3 storage in consume (without consuming disk space of my VBO server)?

I hope to have been clear thank you for your help :D
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: [VBO365] Object Storage S3 Backup

Post by Mildur »

Hi AbdelO
If I make a backup of my Office365 which is 500Gb, will it first copy the data locally (on my server that hosts VBO) and then copy it to my S3 bucket or will it send directly to my S3 storage in consume (without consuming disk space of my VBO server)?
VBO365 will directly backup the data to the S3 Bucket. On the local disk, only Cache Data will be stored. For the cache data, you must provide disk space for ~1% of your source data.
VBO365 - Best Practice Cache Data

You can use this calculator to get an idea how much storage you need:
https://calculator.veeam.com/vbo

If you need a copy of the data, VBO365 V6 brings a new feature for doing copies from an object storage based VBO365 Repo to Azure Archive or AWS S3 Glacier.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AbdelO
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by AbdelO »

Hello Mildur,

Thank you for your answer
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina » 2 people like this post

Hi,

VB365 backs up directly to object storage keeping just a small amount of metadata cached on your local storage.