Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
rtheseeker
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rajeev Mehta

Office 365 Mailboxes: how to ensure everything is protected

Post by rtheseeker »

- We have over 35 K users which are in the process of migration from on-prem 32K users already migration. At the moment, the infrastructure is in Azure and we use Dynamic Azure Active Directory Groups using the rules (user.objectId -match "^[0-X].*")(VBO BP guide) this helps in load balancing jobs across proxies. Plus a catch all job which have exclusion for these groups and backs up the whole organisation

- The challenge is how do we make sure everything that has an active license/mailbox in Office 365 is getting protected after the migration. The reason for this question is I see a lot of difference between Protected Objects in Veeam One vs EmailActivitiyUserDetail report via Office365 and manually checking each user which is not being backed up is really cumbersome; I am having to look at the restore data as can check individual users the way backup is configured using dynamic groups.

The license in VBO shows around 32K Licenses being used however protected users report show 33K users at the moment I am not sure what is the proper method/Report to confirm that nothing is missing and what report I need to share with the Office365 Team. Also, would Veeam alert us if we are about to exceed Veeam Licenses like a month in advance
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Office 365 Mailboxes: how to ensure everything is protected

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Rajeev,

Veeam will indeed alert if you exceed and give you a grace period for a month to continue backup (see here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70)

For adding all the users: If I understand how you set it up, it seems that you should be good to go and all users should be caught. We will enumerate the AAD Groups and populate the jobs with it. However, the difference can be explained by a few things:
1. You can have objects licenses in M365 where those might not be licensed in VB365 (for example, resource groups are not licenced by us, but might be licensed in M365 if needed)
2. Delay. I noticed that there is sometimes a delay when it comes to those comparisons. Because of caching (to avoid unnecessary calls to your Microsoft infrastructure). So checking 24 hours later in your case might show a difference.

But I do think #1 is probably the main reason. 33K users protected versus 32k licensed seems because of users such as group mailbox, public mailbox, Shared...