Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Office365 veeam account, needs office license?

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi,

Im setting up a backup for several o365 tenants with a separate veeamo365 account for every customer and now I have a dilemma if this account needs a o365 license.
What I know now: without an office license I can not do a restore to teams because I get an error that license is missing for the backup user.

Do you know any other cons if the backup user do not have a o365 license?

I found here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70

This means that if we will change the backup of teams to Teams Graph Export APIs described here:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4340
we need to have a valid office license for the backup user?

I found also here for exchange public folder mailboxes:
But what I saw here:
veeam-backup-for-microsoft-365-f47/publ ... 13-30.html

So also if the user will have a o365 license we can not backup public folders as described in the link above.

Can you please give me some info/input ?

Thank you!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Office365 veeam account, needs office license?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Stano

"Backup User" were used when you have added your organization with legacy protocols/basic authentication. Microsoft has discontinued support for such logins.
You should add those organizations with Modern App-Only Authentication. It's mandatory for Teams Export API and our Restore Portal.
With Modern App-Only Authentication there is no "Backup User" required for the configuration. Therefore no license will be needed for the backup.
This means that if we will change the backup of teams to Teams Graph Export APIs described here:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4340
we need to have a valid office license for the backup user?
Teams Graph Export APIs is only available for organizations added with Modern App-Only Authentication. Therefore no "Backup User" is required.
Microsoft will bill you for the amount of calls against their Export APIs. This is billed through an azure subscription and depends on how many messages are send in those Teams channels.
So also if the user will have a o365 license we can not backup public folders as described in the link above.
A license is not required, because Public Folder backup can not be taken for organizations added with Modern App-Only Authentication. We are working on a solution for a future version of VB365.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi Fabian,

thank you for the confirmation with the topic for public folders.

For the teams topic, Im added all customers with Modern App-Only Authentication.
I guess I used the word "backupuser" in wrong context.
If Im adding a tenant to backup I need a user for impersonation in exchange

and also if you are doing a teams restore back to o365 you need a user and for these tasks I have a user veeamo365backup@xy, if this user do not have a valid office365 license you can not do a restore.

And that's why I create this topic, to know if there are any other examples when a user with o365 license is needed.
Thank you!
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Stano,

The account used for impersonation doesn't require any license, while to restore Teams it's needed as described in our documentation.

Thanks!