Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Permissions error restoring a Teams file

Post by pufferdude »

We are running VBO 6.0.0.385 and today was the first time I tried to restore a file from a Teams backup... and I can't get it to work. We're using all Modern Auth with Veeam M365 app in Azure and backups as well as restores for Exchange and OneDrive work just fine.

Before I open a case, wanted to check here in case it's something galactically simple and stupid I'm doing. Right now, when I try to restore a Teams file I go through the process of copying the "device login code", authenticating as a global admin via the browser, after which the VBO restore window says:

"Unable to connect to the resource. The specified Azure AD application is missing required delegated permissions (Microsoft API: Microsoft Graph, permissions: Sites.Read.All)"

I have attempted to add this permission to the app in Azure AD and while it now shows I have "Sites.Read.All" of BOTH Application and Delegated types, it still does not work. The only thing that I can see different about the delegated right I tried to add is that "Admin consent required" is set to No (other ones already there are Yes) but I've found no way to change that.

Anyway... not looking for in-depth troubleshooting, but thought someone may have run into this before and could just say "oh yeah, click this" ;-)
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: Permissions error restoring a Teams file

Post by chris.childerhose »

If your have not already install the latest patch for VBM365 - https://www.veeam.com/kb4285

It addresses many issues and may fix this one.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Thanks, appreciate the reply. As stated, I'm already on 6.0.0.385 :-(

Curiously, the docs here say that the permissions I had/have missing are supposed to be automatically added when you use Modern Auth (without legacy) which is what we're doing. I wonder if I'd be better off just re-registering a new Azure app within my VBO organization?
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude » 1 person likes this post

Well, I went ahead and just let VBO re-install the app, and it fixed it! The missing permissions are now there and a Teams restore works fine. No idea why they were missing in the first place since VBO installed the app the first time... but a lot was changing around VBO back in December when I set this up, so must have just been a glitch somewhere.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

Glad to hear you were able to fix it.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 707 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Jim,

First, I'm glad that your issue is now resolved.

Secondly, sometimes when you change permissions or settings on the M365 side it takes some time to apply them to make things work. Maybe it was the reason why adding the missing permission did not take effect immediately in your case.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

I hear you, and that makes sense... but I did wait 10min or so (maybe that's not long enough)... and it's curious that when I reinstalled the app and let Veeam create the rights, they worked immediately. I really think my manually-added rights didn't work because I could not figure out a way to set the "Admin consent required" to "yes" for the Delegated Sites.Read.All permission. There's just no UI for that, apparently.

In any case... all fixed and re-installing a new app took all of 2min ;-)
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 707 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Jim,

Normally, it's should be here: