Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
i.stajcic
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Igor Stajcic

Searching from PowerShell for SharePoint items in Document Libraries takes a very long time

Post by i.stajcic »

Hi,
I was wandering if I’m doing something wrong here? I’m trying to confirm existence of certain files in SharePoint Document Libraries in Veeam for MS365 backups. The files in question are always in the folder which is in the root of the library. I search for the files with the following syntax:

$ParentFolder = Get-VESPDocument -DocumentLibrary $DocumentLibrary -Query $TestFolderName
$TestFiles = Get-VESPDocument -ParentDocument $ParentFolder -Recurse

This works, but it takes huge amounts of time to execute the first line (find parent folder) despite the fact that the folder I’m searching for is in the root of the library and I don’t use -Recures switch. So, it should only search the top level of the library which contains only a small number of folders, so it should execute almost instantaneously. Instead, it takes about an hour for the library of about 10.000 items, about 10 hours for a library of about 25.000 items and I can’t imagine how long would it take on the library of 100.000 items or larger.

Is there any explanation for this strange behavior or a workaround to make these searches faster?

Regards,
Igor
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Searching from PowerShell for SharePoint items in Document Libraries takes a very long time

Post by Mildur »

Hi Igor

That sounds too long.
Do you see the same duration when using Veeam Explorer for SharePoint to search the folder name?
What sort of repository are using? Jet DB based or object storage?

Please also open a support case and let me know the case number. Don't forget to upload the log files.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software