Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: RH

Session History

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

I am currently performing some tests with VB for MS 365 and I wonder what I should configure for the session history retention settings. By default it is configured to keep all sessions, what is best practice? Is it necessary to limit the history for performance reason or to ensure that the backup chain is healthy?

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Session History

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey,

No, limiting the history will not affect the backup chain. You want to limit it simply to use less storage on your VB365 server. How much history you want to keep kind of depends on your business requirements, although I think a couple of months should be a minimum (issues mostly are discovered later than normal ;-))

I have customers who keep a year but have written a script to copy log files to a separate share (some cheaper storage or so)
I have customers who have a legal reason to keep it for X year
And so on...

Hope it makes sense
Mike
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: RH

Re: Session History

Post by redhorse »

Thank you your answer, I understand that it should be no problem to have a very long chain.

Just for my interest, what is the difference between the VB 365 backup and the B&R backup? As far as I know with B&R we the chain shouldn't be too long and a regular health check is recommended.