Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
JChen522
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jimmy Chen

sharepoint site backup taking a long time

Post by JChen522 »

Support Case ID #05739958

I have a backup job that is currently running that backups up Sharepoint. It's been running for almost 17 hours.
It shows objects 1082 of 1478, transferred 1.5 GB (1958 items processed)

1. If I cancel this job, for those sites that have already been processed with green checked circle, is it going to redownloaded them again if I immediately start the job again assuming there has been no changes?

2. Is there a way add exception sites through scripts to the job? It will be very painful to add them one by one. I am trying to isolate sites that is taking a long time to a different job.

3. I am thinking the job is being throttled by M365. Is the throttling from Sharepoint the same as the one from Exchange? The "Increase EWS Throttling Policy" that you can ask in microsoft support? Does that apply to Sharepoint as well?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: sharepoint site backup taking a long time

Post by Mildur »

1)
As said in the other topic, I will check next week if no one else from my team answers first.

2)
Yes, we have a powershell command to add exclusions to the job:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=60

3)
No, SharePoint data is not accessed over EWS (Exchange Web Service).
SharePoint has other API’s and uses it‘s own throttling mechanism. It cannot „be unthrottled“ by the customer.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
JChen522
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jimmy Chen

Post by JChen522 »

Thank you!

2) for the power shell, is there a way or command to get a list of site and its duration for either a job that is currently running or have finished running so I can sorted by Duration so that those that exceeds certain time gets feed into the Add-VBOExcludedBackupitem that you mentioned to be excluded?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jimmy

Maybe using Get-VBOJobSession -Last to get the latest backup session and compare the processing time of each item will work. You can also just open the VB365 console and check which sites are still processing when all other are finished.

We also have a script available from Nils. This script will auto include sites matching a filter.
https://github.com/nielsengelen/veeam-p ... Filter.ps1
If you name your SharePoint Sites with prefixes, you can use this script to distribute the processing of the sites over multiple backup jobs.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software