Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

Splitting Backup Jobs

Post by dasfliege »

We're sick of Sharepoint Backups of big sites taking forever and blocking all other elements (especially mailboxes) in the same job to finish within a reasonable amount of time, so we wan't so split our backup jobs. What's the best practice to split jobs? My thoughts were as follows:

Job1 (User Data):
- Mail
- Archive
- Onedrive

Job2 (Sharepoint):
- Sites

Job3 (Teams):
- Teams

One thing i'm worried about when splitting the jobs is: What about Onedrive and Teams data? As they both build on Sharepoint, is the actual data backed up twice if i split the jobs this way? If this would be the case, i guess there is no way around having Onedrive, Teams and Sharepoint in the same job?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Splitting Backup Jobs

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hey @dasfliege

Your thoughts is something which is used rather common by organizations / service providers. Or basically anyone with larger amount of seats.

First the good news: When you protect OneDrive 4 Business, which is indeed based on SharePoint Online special library, it will NOT be included in job 2 (in your example). The same for Teams, that SharePoint site is not included in Job 2.

However, when we backup Teams, we do not backup ALL of the data for that SharePoint site (as it is actually not necessary because most data is the simple default). But, I have learned from some organizations (I only heard it twice for now but still) are using the teams SharePoint site also to add additional modifications and design. So if that is your case, you will need to rethink the job strategy.

Makes sense?
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

Post by dasfliege »

Hi Mike

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Great news.

As we're also a service provider and do not have any knowledge of what our customers are doing with their Teams, it may would make sense to keep Teams and Sharepoint together, just to be save, right?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

@dasfliege To me personally it doesn't make sense as those sites normally should not be used besides adding the data in Teams itself, which we protect. I personally would make this a disclaimer to your tenants stating that only the data visible in Teams (files) are being protected. The only reason there is a SP site behind a team is to store those files in a document library. Or at least that should be the intention :-)