Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Stuck forever reading a mailbox

Post by DanielJ »

After we upgraded to the latest version (6.0.1.254 P20220825), I have seen several instances of VBM getting stuck on a single mailbox, trying to read it forever. The ticket below is one example, another VBM server has been reading one mailbox for 357 hours as of now (without numbers progressing). I wish there was a setting that made VBM give up on items where it has not been able to read any data for x hours. That way we would sacrifice the problematic mailbox but at least get an up-to-date restore point for all the other data. It's not reasonable just keeping on reading the same object forever. VBM needs some way of handling this situation. Or even better, find and solve the actual problem.

Ticket: 05642367
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Stuck forever reading a mailbox

Post by Polina »

Hi Daniel,

There were a few support cases with a similar issue, and if my memory serves me well it was related to the incorrect sync state sent from the M365 side, which VB365 couldn't recognize and handle correctly. That issue has been resolved by triggering a full sync for the problematic folder.
Please continue working with our support engineers, as it's the most efficient way to get your problem resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks!
GHerbstman
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Herbstman

Post by GHerbstman »

We are seeing the same thing. Currently a single mailbox out of 1500 constantly fails. Nothing special about the mailbox. 1Gb in size.

Frustrating there is no details or actions available to deal with this. Have to kill the entire backup.
Gary Herbstman
Byte Solutions, Inc.
michael.garcia
Novice
Full Name: Michael Garcia

Post by michael.garcia »

We are also seeing this behaviour and we're on the latest v7 release :-(
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Michael,

Did you open a support case on this issue? Can you provide me with its ID?
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Post by DaStivi » 1 person likes this post

i've the same issues multiple times... what helps, if you make ah new job, with only this mailbox (or item) point it to the same repo. let it run, afterwards the normal job with the item in it also ran fine again...
MikeyM
Lurker

Post by MikeyM »

I was going to write about this very same issue. This issue can be easy to miss as visually everything looks ok job running etc until you realize a job has been stuck on a mailbox for 100+ hours. It would be great if veeam implemented a timeout feature if say the job was stuck on a mailbox over 20 hours.

Have any of you found an alarm setting that would warn when this happens? Perhaps exchange not being updated in over a day?
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Post by DaStivi »

an relatively easy "fix" or workaround is to enable the "Terminate the job if it exceeds allowed backup windows" option.. and set it to once ah day or what ever it fits... once each two days...

still the issue is that mailbox didn't get ah successfully backup anymore and needs to be fixed with the workaround with the "new-sync" in its own job...

another issue i just started to see right now, the jobs doesn't start at all... so they start in VB365 console but never really starts dooing something, and also stopping isn't possible anymore... also the maximum runtime setting does not stop or has any affect... only restarting the service helps...
siverby
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Anders Siverby

Post by siverby » 1 person likes this post

I have this problem often on multiple installations after updating to latest version 7.0.0.3604 P20230512. Dangerous because it is easy to miss!
DP-Feag
Lurker
Full Name: David Poggensee

Post by DP-Feag »

We are currently migrating to Cloud and experiencing the same problem.
Happenes quite often and is a huge problem for us.
Hope it get fixed soon!
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

From what we currently see, the issue gets resolved after applying the solution from this KB: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 6f4713b46b
adamfindlay
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Adam Findlay

Post by adamfindlay »

I'm seeing exactly the same issue, have applied the .NET fix made no difference. Have an open support case for 8 days still trying to get it working. As others have said I have tenant jobs stuck for over 600 hours that slipped through the net as no failure emails were received. Just been suggested by support to try making a new job with the problematic mailbox in to run a full sync as per above. If thats the fix that that's going to be a real pain since I have around 50 tenant backup jobs and about 10 of them stuck on multiple (10+) mailboxes. Looks like this issue has been going on for quite some time and for me its adding to an ever growing list of spurious errors and issues I've had to deal with recently for both O365 and B&R.
jwhitford
Service Provider
Full Name: John Whitford

Post by jwhitford »

Make sure at a minimum you have enabled the Veeam option for 'Terminate the job if it exceeds allowed backup window' and set it for something like 23 hours or 11 hours, depending on how often your job runs for example...basically set it to just less than the interval between jobs.
jwhitford
Service Provider
Full Name: John Whitford

Post by jwhitford »

Polina wrote: Jul 13, 2023 11:12 am From what we currently see, the issue gets resolved after applying the solution from this KB: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 6f4713b46b
Hm how would this resolve a problem with a single mailbox that won't complete in the backup window? All other mailboxes, Teams, sites, groups, and OneDrive objects are backing up without issue.
ffiala@fzu.cz
Lurker

Post by ffiala@fzu.cz »

DaStivi wrote: Jun 13, 2023 3:26 pm i've the same issues multiple times... what helps, if you make ah new job, with only this mailbox (or item) point it to the same repo. let it run, afterwards the normal job with the item in it also ran fine again...
Thanks this work for me too.
rtheseeker
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rajeev Mehta

Post by rtheseeker »

"
i've the same issues multiple times... what helps, if you make ah new job, with only this mailbox (or item) point it to the same repo. let it run, afterwards the normal job with the item in it also ran fine again..."
this worked for me as well..although initially the support person advised its an issue of throtelling however other mailboxes were fine; so I created a seprate test job and ran a full and once this completed; the orignal job ran fine